Stuffed Mushroom Recipe, with Chevre and Balsamic Vinegar

Stuffed Mushrooms. Always a wonderful treat and with so many recipe variations, any of these bite size offerings are delicious. We happen to think they make a wonderful side dish for steak and that’s exactly what I served for Sunday dinner. Let’s take a look at this special stuffed mushroom recipe.

I’ve talked ad nauseum about our wonderful local market who spoils us with fine offerings of seafood, the best aged beef in town, deli meats and cheeses, and gourmet take home dinners, my beloved Tony’s Market. Tony’s also spoils us with weekly emails offering a fabulous selection of mouth-watering recipes. Last week this stuffed mushroom recipe arrived and it was quickly added to my menu. It’s wonderful and actually the only stuffed mushroom recipe that I’ve permanently added to my recipe database.

I served these with Beef Tournedos With Mushroom Wine Sauce and twice baked potatoes. I must say this was a fabulous dinner. The tenderloin was cooked so perfectly, and topped with out of this world red wine reduction sauce, we’ll probably brag about the meal for years. Just one little blogging problem…except for the preparation of the mushrooms, no photos. Not even of the cooked mushrooms. With a meal that special, sometimes you just feel like digging in.

Stuffed mushrooms with chevre and balsamic vinegar.  A flavorful stuffed mushroom recipe.

As Chef Mick instructed, I simply removed the stems, chopped and sautéed them in olive oil with green onions and then filled the mixture back into the mushrooms. I used crimini instead of white mushrooms because that’s what I had on hand.

I picked up this adorable little tube of very soft goat cheese that I spotted in Tony’s cheese section.

Placed a dollop of the cheese on top of sautéed stems and onions.

Then topped with a panko mixture. Last week on Food Network, I watched an Ina show where they ground panko bread crumbs before adding to meatloaf. I decided to copy this to make the crumb topping more manageable on the mushrooms, so spooned panko bread crumbs into my little food grinder, added some grated parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning and pulsed a few times to obtain desired smooth consistency.

These were extremely flavorful. The sautéed stems and onions made for a wonderful base and topped with the salty cheese and Italian toppings the package provided a creamy, savory flavor with a perfect crunchy topping.  And with a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette, these mushrooms are a real treat. Even though I didn’t follow the recipe exactly as written, thanks to Chef Mick for this wonderful and easy recipe. You’ll find his original recipe below.

Chevre Stuffed Mushrooms Balsamico

6-8 large white mushrooms (I used crimini)
1-2 tsp minced shallot (optional) (I used finely chopped green onion)
pinch of fine sea salt
1-2 tsp olive oil and/or butter
Tony’s Balsamic Vinaigrette, as needed
3 TBS Chèvre, plain or flavored (prefer Haystack herb or pepper) (I used goat cheese pictured above)
Tony’s Italian or Parma Panko breadcrumbs, or your favorite (I used plain panko, chopped in a grinder and pulsed with Italian seasoning and Parmesan)
Parmigiano Reggiano, grated (optional)

For service: mixed spring greens – also great with Tony’s Marinara or Vodka Sauce

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wipe mushrooms clean with a wet towel, remove steps and chop. Combine stems with shallots and a pinch of salt, and then sauté with a scant drizzle of olive oil (or butter) until very soft.

Dip or brush mushroom caps with balsamic vinaigrette. Divide sautéed mushrooms between mushroom caps – do not overfill!

Stuff /top each mushroom with chèvre cheese (the amount you use really depends on the size of the mushrooms). Combine 2 TBS breadcrumbs with 1 TBS finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (if using) and sprinkle over each mushroom. Place on a sheet pan or jelly roll pan and drizzle or mist lightly with olive oil.

Roast on top rack of a preheated 425-degree oven for 5-8 minutes or until sizzling and cheese starts to melt. Broil if additional browning is desired. Serve over greens tossed with Balsamic dressing or with warm sauce. Serves 2

- Chef Mick Rosacci, www.tonysmarket.com   www.TonyRosacciCatering.com

Chevre Stuffed Mushrooms Balsamico…It’s What’s for a Side Dish with Steak.

Comments

1. Russ says

Whenever I encounter stuffed mushrooms, I always eat so many that they’re no longer appetizers — they become a MEAL!

Why is it that some of our best dinners never get photographed? Is everyone (including us) so anxious to eat? My daughter is pretty good about asking: do you need a photo mom? On the other hand, my boys just roll their eyes. They want to eat!! Sometimes I get a photo of the dish before everyone digs in, but it doesn’t look like much ’cause I’m rushed. Oh well…food blogging is only truly understood by other bloggers!
    I love stuffed mushrooms. Last batch I made were Ina Garten’s and we weren’t crazy about them. But we love Chèvre, Lea Ann, so these will be a winner at my house. That beef recipe sounds yummy too.

That steak recipe is wonderful Barbara. WONderful. And with steak being such a time sensitive operation, you bet we dug in. And it was so good that I didn’t even think to grab the camera for a partially eaten shot. I’ve made a couple of stuffed mushroom recipes that were just “ok”, we really did like this one.

Hi LeaAnn! These look so savory and good. Love that you make them for dinner (vs pupus for a cocktail soiree). I would love to learn more about Tony’s market. Have only learned of it through you and it’s feeling like a place to come and explore. Hope all is well with you!

I’ve always love creamed, stuffed, sautéed mushrooms with a steak dinner. I don’t think you have a Tony’s near you. You’ll have to make a stop when you come down for our blogger meetup. All is well with me and I look forward to meeting you this weekend.

These look so cute and fabulous! I can’t wait for you to post the recipe of the steak! I’m always looking for new ways to work with steak. I feel the same way about my little local import store, Avanti Savoia, though they don’t have fresh foods like cheeses and meats. Lucky for you, you have Tony’s!!

I really should make that steak again and take a picture. It’s a fabulous recipe thanks to Chef Mick. I actually put it into my database and threw out a couple of mediocre recipes that I’ve had for years. I did post a link, you can see the recipe if you click. I agree, I’ve known I was lucky to have Tony’s for a very long time. Thanks Food Hound…and thanks for the comment.

I had forgotten how good stuffed mushrooms are until I saw your post. They would be fabulous with steak. I’ll be sure to give yours a try. How can you go wrong with goat cheese.

Speaking of mixing things into panko crumbs, I added a little chopped cilantro to them and then used it as a breading for shrimp. Yum, yum. Don’t you wish we had invented panko crumbs? We’d be smart and wealthy.

got me wondering … in old comic books, the stodgy newspaper editor or mayor or other authority figure would express his dismay by shouting, “Criminey!” wonder if that comes from the crimini mushroom somehow.

hate to be a break crumb snob here, but there’s something about Rudi’s (out of Boulder) whole wheat that makes just perfect bread crumbs. fluffy and easily combined with whatever else you’re mixing.

cheers!

Too funny. My dad would always exclaim “well criminetly”. Hard to say where a lot of those old sayings came from. You can be a bread crumb snob anytime you want with me. I am familiar with Rudi’s and love their products. Am also a Udi’s fan. I think they’re local. I pick up both whenever I get a change. Great breads.

Well, for some reason we really liked these. Maybe it was the balsamic vinegar…maybe it was that wonderful steak…maybe we were just hungry? Anyway, we really liked them.

7. Vickie says

STANDING OVATION for this meal, Lea Ann! I’m totally with you on steak and mushrooms (they go together like peas and carrots as Forrest Gump would say). I love that you stuffed mushrooms to go with this fabulous meal(event) and am anxious to try this. I’ll bet that tangy goat cheese is wonderful. I totally get the lack of photographs, but it sounds like too special a meal to set out and yell, “WAIT!” :D Wonderful, wonderful post. I’m inspired.

This was actually our Valentines Dinner, except a day early on Sunday. The steak was out-of-this-world and I was so tickled with myself that I got it pan seared to a perfect medium rare. Of course Tony’s quality filets could probably make any mediocre steak-er like myself into a pro. That goat cheese is just a little thicker than sour cream. It worked wonderfully to dollop onto these mushrooms. Thanks for all of the accolades! I’m basking in your compliments. :-)

Wait…I need to meet this Tony! Super jealous!!!

I find it super difficult to take pictures of dinner like you mention in this post too. Sometimes snapping away for the perfect shot just doesn’t seem appropriate! It all sounds SO WONDERFUL!!!

I love the look of these mushrooms too, I am a huge fan of goat cheese in just about anything! YUM!

I can’t remember if I’ve ever used cheese in any stuffed mushroom I’ve ever made. Maybe just a stuffing type recipe. Anyway, these sure were good. As always thanks for topping by and the comment.

Love, love stuffed mushrooms. This is a wonderful recipe. The goat cheese really brings it to another level. Very cool. Delicious.

Cheers.