Delicious and Easy; Chipotle Chicken Soup

Chipotle Chicken Soup.  It’s one of our favorite easy weeknight fixes. It comes together in about 30 minutes and brings a wonderful combination of textures and flavors with it.

But before we get to the soup I want you to take a look at those little tubes of crispy sour cream filled tortilla rounds resting on the rim of the soup plate. Well, one.  The other decided to slide down into the soup for a swim before I could get a photo…there’s always one in every crowd.

This recipe comes from a Better Homes and Gardens Easy Soups and Stews cookbook that I’ve had for umpteen years.

I’ve made this Chipotle Chicken Soup a million times and never paid much attention to the little side addition of these tortilla tubes. If you look closely you can see one sitting unassumably in the bottom right corner of their photo. And before we go any further, no, I would never write in the autographed copy of my Rick Bayless cookbook.  Let’s take a look at these little rollups.

Just take  flour tortillas and cut them in 4ths. I used a sun-dried tomato flavored tortillas.  Place them on a paper towel and microwave for 15 – 20 seconds to soften.

Brush each side with olive oil.

Roll them up and secure with a toothpick to hold them open. Bake at 350 degrees for about eight minutes.

Cool slightly and fill with sour cream. I filled these with sour cream to which I had added some drained Rotel tomatoes and chopped cilantro. Warm, chewy and a wonderfully unique compliment to the Mexican-style soup.

OK…are you thinkin’ the same thing I’m thinkin’? The filling possibilities seem endless. These little baked tubes would be a welcoming vessel for so many cheese appetizer ideas.

Chipotle Chicken Soup

• 3 14-ounce cans chicken broth (I used Better Than Boullion)
  • 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce cut into slivers (I removed seeds and veins)
  • 1 heaping teaspoon of the adobo sauce
  • 1 spinach, tomato or plain flour tortilla, quartered
  • 2 t. olive oil
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 12 ounces total)
  • 1/2 t. ground cumin
  • 2 t. olive oil
  • 1 small avocado, halved, peeled and sliced
  • 1 14-ounce can white or yellow hominy drained
  • Sour cream
  • Cilantro for sprinkling

In a saucepan, combine chicken broth and chipotle pepper and sauce. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for ten minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the tortilla tubes as shown above.

Rub both sides of chicken breasts with cumin. In a large skillet cook chicken in 2 t. hot olive oil over medium high for 10 – 12 minutes, or until chicken breast is no longer pink.

To serve, place one cooked chicken breast half in each of four warmed soup bowls. Add avocado and hominy to each bowl. Pour simmering broth into each bowl.  Sprinkle with cilantro.

Note:  I’ve served the chicken breast whole, but prefer to cube or shred the chicken. Either way, this soup is delicious.

Chipotle Chicken Soup…It’s What’s For Dinner.

Comments

I love all of these flavors and combined together in a soup, I’m sold. This looks just great and the fact that it comes together so quickly makes it that much more appealing.

Wow, that sounds like a very tasty soup. I wish my stomach could handle the hominy better. I just love the taste of it so much. Most of the times I eat it anyways. This soup recipe will be saved to try. Thanks, Lea Ann.
    P.S.: Could Susan get a hold of you?

You always have great recipes. I am really liking this chicken chiptole soup, and with the filled tortilla ‘tubes’ it really brings it to a new level. Love it!!! I smiled when you mentioned that one of the tubes slid into the soup :-)

Cheers.
    Velva

Lots to love here! The soup looks delicious – can’t wait to try it and will give you a full report. I’m also Jones-ing for that cookbook because I love soup cookbooks and could possibly squeeze another one in. Those tubes look like a fun addition to soups and I know the guys would go for them in a big way. Lastly – is that Fiestaware plate Sunflower? I’ve been adding a few colors and that one is pretty. ;) Your posts always make me want to go shopping.

That’s not Fiestaware. I bought those plates a hundred years ago at Pier 1. I’m ready to get rid of these, buy some white plates and accent with all the cool Fiestaware colors. I really like the lime green and the eggplant colors together. I’ve had the cookbook for a long time. I’ve got two from BHG. Both inexpensive books and full of easy soups. I do believe they’re my favorite soup cookbooks. And lastly….go ahead, blame me for “you” wanting to go shopping! :-)

Soup looks and sounds great and those tortilla rollups caught my eye right away. Now I have visions of possible fillings flashing before my eyes! Thanks!

Baked sour cream? Only a genius could think of such a thing. Amazing.

This soup sounds so deliciously flavored. Is it weird that I want a bowl at 8AM?

Well actually the sour cream is spooned in after the tubes are baked. No genius status here afterall. :-) Not weird to me that you want a bowl at 8:00….I love savory for breakfast.

Ha! Your notes in the cookbook made me laugh. Nice touch. I can’t get enough of soup lately. I especially like it spicy, so I know where to come the next time I need inspiration!

Oh my gosh, that DOES look and sound really awesome! Those tubes are ingenius, I’m going to have to try that. It’s basically like a version of tortilla soup…if you put the tortilla tubes into the soup like you did. So cool :) …and ya know what, I write in my cookbooks in pencil. Even my favorites!

From your notes written in the book, I guess you like this soup. Right? :)
    I adore the little filled tortilla tubes! Can think of a million ways to serve these…you’re right, Lea ann, I’d make them for the game today, but already have my menu ready. But I’ll be sure to make them soon.

When you think of all those ways to fill those tubes, please let me know. I’m not feeling as creative as I thought…and for now, we’ve got a Superbowl to play. :-)

Your soup looks so very very good!! But I absolutely love those little filled tortillas, serve me up a bowl of that delicious soup and lots of those little tortillas!
    Cheers