Feeding A Crowd; Cajun Meatloaf Sliders for the Super Bowl

Whether you’re traveling or hosting a party at home, here are some more food ideas for the upcoming event. Throw in your rowdy friends, lots of cold beer, a good football game, funny commercials and a halftime extravaganza show and you’ve got a good Super Bowl Party.

Speaking of halftime extravaganzas, remember when Diana Ross entered the stadium dangling from the bottom rung of a helicopter ladder? I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

On a more positive note..remember when Paul McCartney performed the year following the Janet Jackson fiasco with the memorable “Hey Jude” sing along? Remember when Prince performed Purple Rain in the rain and the guitar shadow was noticably on the phallic side? The Rolling Stones performed for the first time in television delay mode because the network feared “you never know what they might pull“.  ???   At their age, maybe a muscle?

What’s your favorite halftime extravaganza memorable moment?

Super Bowl is always a great excuse for a food event. Too bad the Saints aren’t in this year, but we can still serve up some Cajun just in case the Black Eyed Peas offer up a halftime moment.

Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Cajun Meatloaf recipe. I’ve been making it and savoring it for years. It’s a wonderful combination of bold spices that come together in a tasty treat for the palate. For a real thrill, you might even try Chef Paul’s Cajun sauce that he recommends you serve over the meatloaf. I’ve prepared the sauce once and I must say it was memorable…in a fire extinguisher sort of way.  But for now, let’s take a look at my cold meatloaf sandwich version.

Last fall, when asked to provide food for a Realtor open house, I put on my thinking cap and since that cap is always preloaded with a slider recipe, decided to make some changes and create a Paul Prudhomme meatloaf slider.

Following the recipe, I simply baked the meatloaf mixture pressed flat in 9 x 11 casserole pan instead of the meatloaf shape. As you can see, the loaf was about two inches thick. After baking, I let cool to room temperature and went to work to build my little sliders. Cutting the meat into squares that would fit on my favorite Sara Lee Original Rolls, I simply slathered some mayo on the bottom half of the bun and some Cajun mustard on the top.

The sandwich dressed with a slice of  sweet and spicy flavored Dave’s Famous Signature Spicy Pickle Chips  disappeared quicker than the shot of Janet Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction. Oh c’mon admit it, how many times did you have to rewind to actually see something?

Served with a big bowl of beautiful Louisiana Sunburst Salad

My standby Best Pasta Salad Ever

A big relish tray complete with pickled asparagus…

Finish with a tray of my mom’s Orange Slice Bars

Recipes are below or linked.

A Cajun Theme, minus the Saints…It’s What’s For Superbowl.

Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Cajun Meat Loaf, Louisiana Kitchen Cookbook:

Seasoning Mix:

2 Whole bay leaves
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon ground red pepper (preferably cayenne)
1 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup catsup
1-1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup very fine dry bread crumbs

Very Hot Cajun Sauce for Beef (see below)

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Melt the butter in a one quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, bell peppers, green onions, garlic, tabasco, Worcestershire and seasoning mix. Saute until mixture starts sticking excessively, about six minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping the pan bottom well. Stir in the milk and catsup. Continue cooking for about two minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.

Place the ground beef and pork in an ungreased 13×9-inch baking pan. Add the eggs, the cooked vegetable mixture and the bread crumbs, remove the bay leaves. Mix by hand until thoroughly combined. In the center of the pan, shape the mixture into a loaf that is about 1-1/2 inches high, 6 inches wide and 12 inches long. Bake uncovered at 350°F for 25 minutes, then raise heat to 400°F and continue cooking until done, about 35 minutes longer.

Serve immediately as is or with Very Hot Cajun Sauce for Beef.

Very Hot Cajun Sauce For Beef

This sauce is excellent with Cajun Meat Loaf, roast beef, sandwiches hamburgers, post roast and Cajun Shepard’s Pie.

3/4 cup chopped onions

• 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
  • 1/4 chop chopped celery
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (preferably cayenne)
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup minced jalapeno peppers
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 3 cups Basic Beef Stock

NOTE: Fresh Jalapenos are preferred; if you have to use pickled ones, rinse
as much vinegar from them as possible.

Combine the onions, bell peppers and celery in a small bowl and set aside while you start the roux. Unlike the roux in most other recipes in this book, the roux we use here is light brown. Therefore, instead of heating the oil to the smoking stage, we heat it to only 250°F; this prevents the roux from getting too brown.

In a heavy two-quart saucepan heat the oil over medium-low heat to about 250°F. With a metal whisk, whisk in the flour a little at a time until smooth. Continue cooking, whisking constantly until roux is light brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Be careful not to let the roux scorch or splash on your skin. Remove from heat and with a spoon immediately stir in the vegetable mixture and the red, white and black peppers; return pan to high heat and cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the bay leave, jalapeno peppers and garlic, stirring well. Continue cooking about 2
minutes, stirring constantly. (We’re cooking the seasonings and vegetables in the light roux and the mixture should, therefore, be pasty). Remove from heat.

In a separate two-quart saucepan, bring the stock to a boil. Add the roux mixture by spoonfuls to the boiling stock, stirring until dissolved between each addition. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce reduces to 3 1/2 cups, about 15 minutes. Skim any oil from the top and serve immediately.

Comments

I agree Russ. That McCartney half time was great. I’m a Chiefs fan from way back when, so when the Broncos proved to be losers at the first of the season, I was hoping the Chiefs would make a go for it.

L-O-V-E-D Paul McCartney’s Live and Let Die performance. Fabulous. Great Song and Super Bowl moment. I was lucky enough to see him perform that at the Pepsi Center in Denver. Never in my life did I ever think I’d get to see a Beatle live and in person.

Meatloaf sandwiches are my personal favorite so these babies are calling out to me! On second thought, they are running and hiding from me because I want to eat them like Godzilla! Roooooarr

We make meatloaf just to have sandwiches so I know we’d love these babies. Great presentation Lea Ann.

When we lived in Houston a long time ago the Super Bowl was being played at Rice Stadium and we lived nearby. My husband and his buddy walked to the game and then took us gals to the Warwick Hotel for dinner and drinks. The coaches from both teams and Ed McMahan and his son were in the piano bar with us. We all sang along and Ed kept tipping the piano player every time he tried to take a break. Great time.

I’m very excited for the Black Eyes Peas’ performance! Now that the Pats are out, we’ll be able to watch the Superbowl with friends instead of being holed up in a bunker full of stress trying to will Brady to win the game :) These sliders look great! Very pigskin-friendly!

I can not believe that New England will not be at this Year’s Superbowl. I agree, it’s much less stressful when the home team isn’t making an appearance. I remember the first time the Broncos were there, I thought I was going to have to be medicated. ;-)

Oh Janet Jackson. I think that was the beginning of my true awareness of the superbowl halftime show. Good times.

These sliders sound amazing! I could have at least five of them and still not be satisfied.

I’m not a football fan so I usually make the food for my guys and head to a movie. My husband and son love meatloaf so this looks like the perfect option for them. Now the last thing to choose is that movie. See you later.

We are the only family I know that is not interested in football. Luckily we have very understanding friends. So, I never host for the rowdy crowd (lucky me). I still would like to try the sliders, for me on thinly sliced baguette please, since we will be visiting the Tour de France for the third time again this year. That is our sport event of the year.

those cajun meatloaf sliders look perfect for any party! I don’t really remember the half time shows, but I loved he commercials….my favorites will always be the frogs!
    have a happy weekend!
    Dennis

I’d have to search deep in my memory for a favorite commercial. I loved those swamp frogs! Wasn’t that Budweiser? Budweiser has some really great commercials.

8. Vickie says

Love love LOVE this post, girl! The half time shows are always entertaining, even when (especially when?) it’s a debacle! :). Now let’s talk about those ingenious sliders and how perfect an idea to make the whole meat”loaf” into a crusty cube-able pie. Brilliant! Sandwiches are my favorite part of meatloaf, anyway. I’m so excited to try this!

Chef Paul’s recipe is quite lengthy, but it does come together pretty easy. The first time I made it, I was really worried about the spicy heat…but it’s good. Yup, I live for the debacles! :-)

That’s the most ingredients I’ve seen for meatloaf and I can believe it was super good. When we make meatloaf, it’s primarily for the sandwichs and I think the sliders is a great party idea. As for the halftime, I’m out of step with most of America in that I don’t watch the commercials or the halftime – they’re just a time consuming interuption to the game I want to watch – but perfect for the non football fans at the party.

Yes, it’s a long recipe Larry. Comes together quicker than you think….and bursting with flavor. Sadly I think I miss a lot of the commercials because of the crowd noise and talking. Seems like we’re always hosting or at a SB Party.

I’m impressed that you remember so many Superbowl events! Great memory you’ve got there.

The best part of these sliders is the pickle on top. I’m so going to do that with all sliders from now on.

So nice meeting you yesterday, and thanks for stopping by the Saucy Dipper, too!

Well don’t be too impresssed, those are all pretty recent halftime events..except for Diana Ross and that one I’m sad to report I can’t erase from my mind. =-0 Thanks for complimenting my pickle idea…I was pretty proud of that one.

I love the idea of meatloaf sliders! I’ve never had them but nothing beats a leftover meatloaf sandwich and this looks way better! I also really like the tortellini salad.

Cajun meatloaf is mouth-watering! Love that you made sliders! Everything looks delicious. I can’t remember anything about any one superbowl – usually I just watch long enough to eat!