Pumpkin Pie Ravioli

Last week when making pumpkin pies I had about a cup of the pie filling left that wouldn’t fit in the pie shells. Showing the cup to the Hub I said “I might as well throw it out, what am I going to do with it?”  He quickly replied, “Put it in ravioli”.  Genius, I say…he’s a genius!

Only one problem, I’m doughaphobic.  I’ve had my fair share of bread making disasters so pretty much all recipes that have anything to do with flour and water are pushed to the side burner.

So, with all that said, let’s pretend we’re on the show Fear Factor and get started.

I bought this little ravioli press over a year ago and this is the first time I’ve used it. Worked like a charm. Look at those perfect little ravioli squares.

And big enough to easily manage a dollop of the pumpkin pie filling. I used my mom’s homemade noodle recipe. I rolled it out as thin as I could get it with a rolling pin… however, I would have liked it a little thinner. Dear Santa: pasta rolling machine, please.

My pumpkin pie filling is a custard style recipe. So before filling the raviolis, I baked it so it would thicken, adding about 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and some salt and pepper to the mixture.

Look at these beautiful little pockets.  A very proud moment in the Mangoes Chili and Z  kitchen.

I boiled them in salted water until they were all floating. Drizzled on some browned butter sauce with sage, a couple twists from the pepper mill and served with side dishes of slow roasted tomatoes (thank you Vickie and Karen for this recipe) and Brussel sprouts sautéed in bacon drippings and onions. This was a pretty darn good little meal.  Hub raved, unimpressed mom said “tastes like pumpkin pie,”  and I didn’t care how it tasted…I was just so happy that I successfully made ravioli.

This recipe is a definitely a work in progress. Changing a few things up, it could make a fabulous and devilishly clever dessert course.  I could add a dab of marscapone cheese to each ravioli to add more of a sweet/salty factor…maybe incorporate some pears and blue cheese?  But for now I give this an A for its think outside the box factor.

Any suggestions?

Pumpkin Pie Ravioli…It’s What’s For Dinner…or dessert?

Comments

I’ve seen “chefs” who couldnt do as good a job as this – a little egg a little flour and pasta is born – I bet the filling was scrumptious with the butter sauce…

Great job on the ravioli and being willing to tackle them. Bev and I have been dscussing it, but we’ll likely start with egg roll or won-ton wrappers. I love both ravioli and pumpkin pie, but can’t get my head around the combination, even though they look delicious.

Congratulations on the ravioli! They look beautiful. I have a sugar pumpkin that has been sitting on the counter for a month now as I try to get my nerve up to tackle pasta dough once again and turn it into pumpkin ravioli.

Your ravioli are perfect, Lea Ann. I’ve seen that little cutter but have never been tempted to buy one, until now that is. I haven’t made ravioli in ages and remember using wonton wrappers in the past. I have a little butternut squash left over that I bet would be delicious.

Bravo! I love the combination of brown butter and fried sage for just about anything, but this looks lovely. I have some home made pumpkin puree in the freezer that’s now calling to me…

6. Vickie says

You know I love ravs and I’m just dying to get a little cutter like that. (my wheel cutter is so last year.) Then there’s that pumpkin – I would not have thought of putting it in a ravioli, but it sounds really interesting. Did you use the leftover pie crust or a pasta recipe? Either sounds good. I just need more details. :)

Last year I followed a Giada recipe for butternut squash ravioli. It was divine. But it was savory, not sweet. I posted it if you want to see what was in it. I like the idea of a sweet ravioli, Lea Ann, will look up some recipes.

For a dessert, try dropping the parmesan and finish in either a maple butter (with reduced maple syrup) or drizzle with either/both a dark and white chocolate sauce (warm ganache). You could also put something into the dough, like brown sugar, cinnamon and clove, or??? Love the creativity!

I’ve made ravioli using wonton wrappers, but I guess I should try real pasta dough! Glad you made the roasted tomatoes – they look like they go perfectly with this meal!

I think that pumpkin or squash and pasta is a match made in heaven; I admire your craftsmanship, they look perfect! I have had an Atlas pasta machine (hand rolled pasta) for years and would not trade it for anything.

Our initial attempts at pasta have had the same results. Good but definitely need a pasta press.

PS: Don’t tell your husband he’s a genius, it just goes to our heads ;)

Wonderful ravioli! My last ravioli attempt ended in disaster…I too am a doughaphobic!!

I wanted to let you know that you’re the winner of my $35 CSN giveaway! Send me an email and I’ll reply to you the info.

Looks like a fantastic meal! What a brilliant way to use up the pie filling. That brown butter sauce sounds really good too.

I have never seen a ravioli cutter. Will be on the lookout for it. Hope you get some snow soon ;)