When researching salad recipes for my Mexican Christmas dinner, this colorful Mexican Christmas Salad jumped out with festive enthusiasm in almost every search result. Each recipe was a little different but the list of ingredients usually included lettuce, beets, oranges, bananas, jicima, pomegranate seeds, peanuts and even small hard candies. A pinata in a bowl if you will.
I really couldn’t find much of a history, or where this recipe originated, just the reoccurring theme of beets and fruit, served in a glass bowl and is a traditional salad during the holidays in Mexico and in the Southwest. All in all, you couldn’t ask for a more eye-catching dish. With the glass bowl and layering of colorful ingredients, it almost reminded me of an English trifle. It was promptly placed on my menu and all I had to do was pick through the array of ingredients and decide upon a creamy or vinaigrette dressing. Yes, there were as many versions of dressings as salad ingredients. I chose a creamy. Let’s take a look.
- 2 red beets, roasted peeled and sliced
- 2 golden beets, roasted peeled and sliced
- 1 small jicama, peeled and sliced
- 1 navel orange, peeled and sliced
- 1 head romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- Seeds of one pomegranate
- 1 handful chopped peanuts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the dressing:
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream (Mexican brand if you can find it)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 canned chipotle chile, minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Layer all ingredients in a glass bowl lightly salting and peppering as you go.
- For the dressing: In a medium sized bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk until well blended.
- A salad that you practically had to wear sunglasses to look at
- A salad that was a little hard to dish up, I would chop next time instead of slice
- A salad that was incredibly festive on my Mexican Feast table
- The creamy dressing was absolutely delicious, especially using a Mexican style sour cream
- A delightful concoction that has now found a place in my recipe database (minus the hard candies)
Mexican Christmas Eve Salad…It’s What’s for the Holidays.