Endives Apples and Grapes, A Great Side Dish

It’s Sunday and over a week since you’ve heard from me. I wanted to write a blog post this morning that simply read “I got nothing for ya”.  I can’t remember the last time I was so busy at work that I couldn’t find time to cook dinner for this many days in a row. If  it hadn’t been for a big pan of  Turkey Tetrazzini and a box of DOTS, we might have all starved to death around here.

So, let’s talk about a side dish I made before Thanksgiving, a side dish of Endives, Apples and Grapes.

My mom is here for the holidays. Her visits are always a great excuse to whip up exotic dishes containing  ingredients that she can’t find in the middle of Kansas…dishes containing things like pancetta or any type of cheese other than Velveeta. Yes, I’m making fun of Kansas. But on one trip back  home I wanted to prepare Chicken Picatta and spent the better part of an afternoon going to every Dillons store  in Reno County  looking for capers. Store managers looked at me like I had two heads …” Capers???”, they’d ask. The next trip home a bottle of capers made the 400-mile trip with us from Denver to Hutchinson just so I could make Chicken Picatta.

I want to make this dish again this week, since she’d probably have to make the five- hour drive to Kansas City to find endive.

I’ve already mentioned this, but a couple of weeks ago, I won this WONderful cookbook, Around My French Table, by Dorie Greenspan,  from Barbara over at Movable Feasts.  Love..love…love…this book.  Thanks again Barbara for this great gift.

This recipe caught my eye because I had a counter full of Gala Apples that I needed to use up.

And our grocery stores have had a supply of some unseasonably delicious green grapes. Where they’re coming from I don’t know. With all that said, let’s take a look at this recipe.

In a skillet melt about two tablespoons of salted butter over low heat. Take two plump heads of endive and split length wise. Quarter and core two apples. Place the endive flat side down, apples skin side down, sprinkle in some grapes and sprigs of rosemary and cook undisturbed for 20 minutes. Gently turn everything over and cook for another 20 minutes. Voila…done and delicious.

You end up with this wonderful flavor combination of sweet oozy crunchy caramelized goodness.  The bitter endive retains its flavor and the grapes and apples become even sweeter. Throw in the flavor of Rosemary and you look like a gourmand.  As Ina would say “How Easy Is That?”

Endives, Apples and Grapes…It’s What’s For A Side Dish

Comments

Now how fun is this dish?? I’m wondering if I’ll have better luck finding endive up here than one would in Kansas – will get back to you on that. Meanwhile, I have heard mention of this cookbook around the blogosphere and everyone says the same thing – get it. And your photos are superb! That second one left me dying to pinch off a little bite. :D

I guess I won’t be moving to Kansas any time soon! That being said, I once asked for roasted red peppers in a jar, in a since closed grocery store in Evergreen. The guy looked at me like I had three boobs. He’d never heard of such a thing.

lol Susan, I’ve always said I’d never live anywhere where there wan’t a Whole Foods.  I had a guy up at Highlands Ranch Safeway act like I was all stupid and tell me he had never heardof pickled ginger in a jar.

This is really an interesting combo of flavors and it’s good looking too. When no food to write about, you can always post the bell bottoms photo. :-)

Aren’t we lucky to live in Denver with much better “food” supply. What would we cook in Kansas?
    I also love Dorie’s new book and will make a note of this dish. Great flavor combination and your pictures make me hungry!

Gorgeous side dish! The caramelization looks so yummy. And I love the interesting combo of ingredients.
    There are many days when I would love to post “I got nothing for ya”…wouldn’t that just be so much easier??? I’m going on over a week myself…

Ok, I knew I felt a kinship to you and now I know why, because we lived in Hutchinson for two years many years ago. Hey, say what you will about it, but I feel it was much more cosmopolitan than the metropolis of Junction City where we moved a few years later. Ah, such is life but it is the hard times that make us appreciate the paradise that is Whole Foods all the more.

Your recipe is beautiful and I now feel inspired to kick it up a notch.

GET OUT!  oh my, we need to go to lunch so we can make fun of Kansas.  Man, that’s a toss up…Junction City or Hutch.  I’ll take Hutch for the views of the World’s largest grain elevator.

Stores that don’t stock capers deserve to be burned!

Well, that is harsh….maybe just sauteed and then simmered in a lemon butter mix with capers ;)

I can hardly wait to get my hands on this book. Mine is in the mail (I won one too – yeah!). Very impressive dish Lea Ann.

Endive is so European, so I’m not sure my grocery store here in the mountains will have it and if they do, I wonder how fresh it will be. But we do have capers (I understand about your caper story – I’m from south Arkansas). Love the sprig of rosemary, but I’ll use rosemary in just about anything. Now if only my book would arrive…..

You know, I’ve yet to find a way to make endives that I actually like. And it’s frustrating because they LOOK like I should like them. Guess I need to try this recipes. Sounds delicious.

I’ve only had endive twice, sautéed in this recipe and then an appetizer where you take each individual leaf and fill them with a scrumptious cheese filling. I’ve liked them each time.