Yellow Curry Chicken

Curry, an explosion of flavors and an easy weeknight fix.

In my pantry, you’ll always find a supply of coconut milk and cans of bamboo shoots and water chestnuts just standing by to be basic ingredients for a curry dish. Just add some meat, whatever vegetables you’ve got on hand (well maybe not a turnip) some cilantro and you’ve got a quick and scrumptious meal in no time. If you happen to have a lime as well, even better. I don’t know how many times I’ve said “I don’t know how I ever lived without coconut milk, cilantro, lime and curry.”  And then I see many of you commenting that you flat out “don’t like curry”!  Are you a curry lover or hater?  I’m a lover so let’s take a look at my latest dish.

As you can see during my last trip to HMart, I went a little wild grabbing curries. I’m really anxious to compare the different flavor styles. The Yellow is Southern Thai and recommended to use with chicken, the Massaman is Southern Thai as well and is recommended with beef. Panang is a Laotian curry and milder in flavor.  The Red Curry is a stronger and hotter mixture that I think sounds great for a pork dish.

So far, the two that I’ve opened, the Yellow and the Panang are packaged inside the cardboard round packaging in a plastic pouch and are thick moist offerings of exotic curry paste. Much different from the curry powder I’ve bought from Safeway that is a yellow powder combination but similar to the Thai Kitchen brands I’ve bought in small jars at Whole Foods.

Yellow Chicken Curry:

• 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed and sautéed until almost done
  • 1/2 small sweet onion, quartered
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 4 basil leaves, cut in thin strips
  • 2 T yellow curry
  • 1/2 C. pineapple chunks
  • 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
  • 1/2 C. water
  • 1/2 C. frozen peas
  • 1 lime
  • chopped cashews and cilantro for garnish
  • 3 C. steamed jasmine rice

I thought this was busy enough, so didn’t add either bamboo shoots or water chestnuts.

Start cooking the Jasmine rice according to package instructions.

In a big skillet heat about 1/8 c. oil and add cubed chicken. Add the onion and carrot and cook until chicken is almost done.  In a sauce pan, add the coconut milk and the curry and bring to a simmer. Transfer the chicken, onion and carrots to the curry and milk. Simmer on low for about 5 – 10 minutes,  making sure that the flavors are blending.

Add the water, peas, basil ribbons (or dried basil) and  pineapple and cook until heated through.  At the end add a squeeze of lime juice and zest from 1/2 of the lime.

Spoon rice into a couple of bowls and spoon chicken curry mixture over rice. Garnish with cilantro and chopped cashews and enjoy.

In my photo of the dish, I didn’t spoon a lot of the curry mixture over the rice. I guess I thought I needed to show the rice in case you didn’t believe it was under there…or something!  The final dish offers twice that much curry over the rice.  Serves 2 (with leftovers for lunch the next day)

The flavors of yellow curry are exquisite. Every bite is a savory treat. And with the sweet pineapple this dish is truly a treat. Chopped sweet potato is also a very good substitution for the sweet pineapple.

And it was on the dinner table in around 30 minutes.

Yellow Curry Chicken…It’s What’s For Dinner.

Comments

I was one of those people who didn’t like curry because all I had tasted was the brown curry used in Indian cooking. I still don’t care for that, but after some coaxing, I tried the red and green curry and *love* them! I should make a point to start using them more. I guess I still find them kind of intimidating!

I like curried dishes okay – but Dana is CRAZY about Indian food. When we lived in California he wasn’t content until he’d found a nearby Indian restaurant and an authentic Taquería. Having said that, I love that you posted this so I can assuage his craving for Indian food. There’s just not a lot of offerings up here. :)

We have an Indian Market very close to where we live. One of my Indian clients took me in there and loaded me up with some good stuff and made sure I knew what to do with it. No Indian restaurants in your little town????

Don’t do curry a whole lot but this is the second one I’ve seen today! I wonder how The Cajun would react to it. Don’t think I’ve ever gave him a curry dish. Thanks for visiting me the other day! Hope you’re having a great week.

We love curries, but for some reason, we don’t make them very often. Perhaps I need to change that after seeing this delicious chicken dish. However sometimes I do make my own curry mix.

Thanks Lea Ann for giving me some delicious thoughts of curry.

Curry is a dish I want to love. But… most curries have shellfish pastes in them, and coconut milk bizarrely has xanthan or guar gum (both legumes) in them. Sadly, I’m allergic to both. Life happens.

More than a curry lover, I’m a curry ADDICT. This sounds absolutely fantastic! I love the HMart near me. Such a great source of hard-to-find ingredients!

Your recipe looks great. We LOVE Thai curry. I just made a version of this last night using chicken thighs and a panang paste. I usually add a healthy shot of fish sauce and a glob of cashew or peanut butter to the mix. Thanks for sharing!

Wow what’s this world coming to, How can someone not like curry? Okay maybe I’m just biased because I LOVE curries, all sorts and types. Great recipe and I love your collection of curry pastes. I make all of mine from scratch and keep them in the refrigerator or freezer so like you I always have an easy, and delicious go-to meal. Your yummy photo is making me crave curry so much now:)

I like Curry. I thought Tim Curry was spectacular in Rocky Horror Picture Show and he was funny in Home Alone.

What? Oh. Never mind:)

Actually I’m using coconut milk and curry in a peanut sauce for flank steak tonight.

Lea Ann…you went wild indeed…well at least it’s edible stuff that doesn’t go to waste ;o)

Great ingredients to go along well with that special curry paste.

Thanks for sharing this recipe and flavourful wishes,
    Claudia