Hazelnut Chicken Sausage, Oregon Food and Wine

Oregon inspired Hazelnut Chicken Sausage resting in a red pepper cream sauce. More about that later in this post, but first let’s talk Oregonese.

Please don’t tell Colorado…but I’m having a love affair with Oregon. Look at this Oregon inspired hazelnut sausage snuggled against cranberry tangerine chutney, two over easy eggs and a nice big fluffy warm buttered croissant. Now if that doesn’t make your stomach growl! (Note to self: Pepper eggs after photo shoot).

Our two last vacations have been to the Northern Willamette Valley region of Oregon. What a foodie and wine lover’s paradise. The Willamette Valley is in the heart of Oregon Wine Country and contains two-thirds of the state’s wineries and vineyards. And the Pinot Noir…world class in my humble opinion.

And where there’s wine there’s always an abundance of cuisine. From wonderful restaurants, to farms where you pick your own bounty, to wineries offering up world-famous chefs to prepare winemaker’s dinners, to famous cheese factories like Tillamook. In Oregon you’ll find a culinary discovery around every bend in the road.

So with all that said, you can imagine how thrilled I was when I learned that I had won Cathy’s Oregon Food Sampler Basket giveaway over at Wives With Knives. Take a look at the loot that arrived on my doorstep. From left to right, cinnamon dusted hazelnuts and almonds, fruit candy, tangerine and cranberry chutney, marionberry jam, a package of fresh hazelnuts and a Wives With Knives Apron.

So let’s just take a peek at what I’ve been cooking up over the last couple of weeks with all of these wonderful items.

We’ll start with this beautiful and delicious Cranberry Tangerine Chutney. Rich in color and bold with delicious flavor…

simply slathered on a croissant with some turkey breast made for a fabulous sandwich.

or whisked with some lime juice and smeared on shrimp before grilling produced a wonderful caramelized and flavorful glaze. Yum.

On our last trip to Oregon I brought home these two cookbooks.  Both books are authored by Chef William King a highly acclaimed and award-winning Pacific Northwest chef.  As you can imagine, the books are chock full of wonderful recipes and some of the finest food photography I’ve seen…compliments to photographer Rick Schaeffer.

Which, of course, provided me with plenty of recipes in which to use these beautiful Oregon Hazelnuts that Cathy threw in the package as a bonus. I chose a Hazelnut Chicken Sausage recipe. Let’s take a look.

That’s right, I made my own chicken sausage, using my food processor to mix the egg, ground chicken, hazelnut mixture into a pasty texture to form into tubes. I’ve never done this before and it was quite fun and rewarding. Using plastic wrap to form the tubes, you just drop them into simmering chicken broth and they cook up like a charm. Look at my first roll, perfect! I have absolutely no explanation why the other two rolls became unruly. The lengthy recipe, which I won’t post, then instructs you to slice and saute the sausage until brown and lay on top of a wonderful red pepper cream sauce. As you can imagine, it was delicious.  Recipe can be found in the Chef’s Bounty book.

When I started blogging, one of the first food blogs I followed was Cathy over at Noble Pig. You can imagine my delight when I found out that not only did she live in Oregon and featured some beautiful regional dishes, but also had graduated from UC Davis in California, majoring in oenology and she and her husband had moved to Oregon to plant their own vineyard and bottle wine under the Noble Pig label. Her first bottling was released this summer from Willamette Valley grapes and you can bet we ordered six bottles, four Pinot Noir and two Pinot Gris. We loved the Pinot Noir. In an email Cathy wrote:  “It was my idea to make a true Burgundian Pinot I wanted a food wine, a real Pinot.”

The Pinot Noir was wonderful Cathy and we can’t wait to try the Pinot Gris.

Thanks to both Cathy’s from Oregon for some wonderful fare!

Oregon Food and Wine… It’s What’s For Any Meal.

Comments

What a bounty of goodness!! Your package from Cathy looks wonderful…as does that sausage- yum! I want to try Noble Pig wine…wonder if they ship. Gonna go check it out! Thanks :)

Wow – what a great post – I hardly know where to begin – how about I think the egg shots look better with the pepper. Looks like you’re making good use of your bounty – I love the shrimp idea. I often wish I lived on that side of the country – at least for awhile, to be able to make this and other vacations. Congrats on making your own sausage and finally, your breakfast is to die for.

As you can tell, I love a little egg with my pepper. :-) That shrimp idea was delicious. Really cooked up nice with a beautiful glaze. If I didn’t have those beautiful Rocky Mountains in my back yard, I would move to Oregon in a heart beat. I love it there. There was alot to that sausage, lots of spices. It was easier than I thought and the best part, I’ve got those other two rolls in the freezer. :-)

Beautiful post – great food, great pictures and wonderful writing! I’m just dying that you made your own sausage and then served it with that tasty looking red pepper cream sauce. Very nice basket you won, too! I’m envious of the shot of the Noble Pig pinot . . . can’t wait to try that one day. I just love her blog, too.

Thank you Vickie! It really was a good dish, the recipe was about 3 pages long, it was easier than I thought, delicious and too long to type out. We really liked the wine. So fun to receive a bottle of the very first ever bottling!

It was me! And as you can tell, I loved every bite. Still haven’t used any of that wonderful Marionberry Jam. Man is that stuff good. As always, thanks for stopping by and the comment.

That sausage looks fantastic! It ALL looks fantastic. I should know better than to visit your pages on an empty stomach and early in the morning! WOW!

Excellent gifts from Wives with Knives, so nice!

I think I died and went to heaven. My husband and I also had a love affair with food and in Oregon. Your photos immediately brought me back. Stunning.

Great gifts from Cathy from Wives with Knives!

You’re cheating on Colorado? Shame shame;)

Congrats on winning that package, looks like it went to good use.

I’ve made sausage twice now that we have the grinder attachment for our mixer. I use the same fancy sausage casings that you do, ha ha.

Goodness! Everything looks so mouth watering. I have never been to the northwest area of our country – can you believe it? I would love to go someday before I leave this lifetime. I have made pork sausage before but not chicken – your rolls look pretty good to me and now I find myself craving eggs and sausage! Thanks for stopping by for a visit today and for leaving such a sweet comment. :)

Oregon is one state I really wish to visit someday! Look at that wine! I think I have bought it, or seen it somewhere, I love Pinot Noir so I will be checking it out next time; impressed with your chicken sausage! Have always wanted to try and now I can thanks to you!

Thanks Joumana. Oregon is a great destination. Portland has so many wonderful restaurants, as does wine country. Many beautiful bed and breakfasts to choose from in the Willamette Valley.

The sausage sounds great, and the red pepper cream sauce? Oh, my! We make our own venison or antelope sausage each year after hunting season and buy natural casings online from Cabela’s. Vension sausage tends to be dry, so we add ground pork to it. Last batch, I added some homemade applesauce to the ground meat… tasty! Really nice goodies you got from Cathy – congrats!

I never realized that oregon had such awesome food! That sausage has me drooling…what a unique flavor. And I’m always up for some chutney. Always.

Hi Lea Ann – I’m so happy you enjoyed your Oregon products. I love the idea of glazing shrimp with the cranberry chutney. And I’m really impressed that you made your own sausage. Noble Pig winery is practically a neighbor of mine here in wine country. I’m on the lookout for those cookbooks.

wow this is an amazing site…I dont know what to look at first thanks so much for introducing yourself. That crossant eggs dish is calling me for one, then the chutney omg awesome and fabulous pictures thanks for your visit!