Tonys Flat Chicken

Tonys Flat Chickens.  A lifesaver for a busy week.  I went to work for a new employer and have been engaged in long product training sessions clear across town all week, which has thrown a monkey wrench into my cooking and blogging time.

Most evenings were quick thrown-together 10 minute meals like cooked ground chicken breast mixed in with dirty rice from a package, or scrambled eggs with italian sausage, onion and red bell pepper, chinese take-out one night…hotdogs another.

You’ve heard me mention my favorite local specialty store, Tony’s Meats about a gadzillion times and thanks to their pre-marinated meats department, I was able to plate at least one impressive meal this week.

A couple of weeks ago, they advertised their marinated Tonys flat chickens as one of their “two for one” sale offerings.  Having never tried them, I headed over to my Tony’s on Dry Creek and took advantage of the sale and threw two packages in the freezer.

The selection was difficult, so many good flavor combinations. The one pictured is marinated lemon herb. Didn’t hear about the sale?  Better become a Culinary Club Member. You’ll receive email notifications for great recipes and hot deals.

Here’s what to do (what I did).  Simply heat up the grill to 550 and then turn it down to 350.  Throw the chicken on and reserve the extra marinade from the bag  in a bowl. Every 15 minutes turn the chicken and baste with the reserved marinade. Really no fuss at all. In about an  hour your chicken will be perfect. Could it get any easier?  In between bastings, you have time to change clothes, sip wine, watch Jeopardy, and prepare your side dishes.

My vegetable choice was fried okra. I trimmed both ends of the okra and then soaked in salted water for about 15 minutes. I then drained it well, sliced it up, and coated in corn meal that was seasoned with a Cajun spice and then fried it up in some Crisco. Thanks to Larry over at Big Dude’s Eclectic Ramblings  for the soaking and Crisco tip.  I thought it worked like a charm, plus the hub went crazy over it. No more heavy floured fried okra for this Yankee.

Served along side a fresh garden salad with your favorite vinaigrette and you’ve got a beautiful and delicious summer meal, even on a busy day.  Best part about this, I had enough chicken left over for the next night.  Yum!

Tonys Flat Chicken…It’s What’s For Dinner.

Comments

I could have just eaten the fried okra because it is the most freaking awesome vegetable ever.

Why is it flat chicken? Is it spatchcocked?

Chris, I’m going to have to admit that I don’t know what spatchcocked chicken is. Chef Mick, owner of Tony’s usually stops in to comment when he sees that I’ve mentioned Tony’s…hopefully he can answer that question. I have taken a chicken, cut out the backbone to “halve” a chicken for easier grilling…that’s about the extent of my chicken grilling knowledge.

Well, doesn’t that look delicious! I’m just starting to get okra and still have to add other veggies to fill out the dish, but I’m crossing my fingers that the dozens and dozens of okra babies have time to grow before the weather starts cooling off. If so, I’ll try the saltwater soak and see what that does. That chicken looks and sounds good as well.

Congrats on scoring the great new job!

Hello Lea Ann,

Best of luck with your new job.
    The chicken and okra looks great. I recently tried your recipe for key lime pie. It was great.
    Thanks so much.

All the best,
    -Robin

Congrats on the new job! I hear you on the limited time in the evenings (I seem to be doing a lot of running myself). It’s lovely to have good dinner resources at hand… your meal looks delish!

I didn’t give Lea Ann all the details, here goes…the chicken is properly butterflied – the backbone and sternum ‘keel bone’ is removed, leaving the two halves attached at the breast and allowing it to lay flat (AKA spatchcocked) but we take it further, we also remove the breast and thigh bones for even quicker cooking and ease of eating. The bird is then packaged in a variety of marinades. It’s ideal for grilling or roasting in quick order. A lot of folks sear first to brown and slow down the cooking – this assures browning but makes burning less likely. I hope this gets all the questions…thanks for supporting local shop owners and cheers!

Sounds delicious. Is the chicken cut open at the backbone but still joined at the breast? That’s spatchcocked, or butterflied.

Why do you run the grill up to 550°F first?

Thanks,