Pasta with a Poached Egg and Bacon

Poached egg over pasta

Why am I such a poached egg  freak-o? Just something about that creamy yolk running down the side of…oozing through the middle of..or swimming  in the broth of any dish makes me swoon.  Let’s take a look at this pasta with a poached egg and bacon.  Delicious.

This is just a quick post and an easy weeknight fix. Well, the clean-up crew thought there were too many pans involved…but I didn’t hear him complain during dinner.  :-)

First of all, I want you to take a look at those tomatoes at the top of the photo. That’s right folks, it’s August 3 when this photo was taken, and you’re looking at the first sliced tomatoes of the season from my garden. It’s been a long time coming. So everyone share in my joy and in Mormon Tabernacle Choir fashion sing a big “HALLALUJIA”.

Next to those tomatoes is a slice of the first Rocky Ford Cantaloupe of the season. The Colorado Rocky Ford Melon phenomena is a whole other topic for another post, so stay tuned.

Now we’re talkin’! I do believe that little chunk of bacon swam right out of the pasta just to bathe in that runny yolk. For this dish, I simply cut two slices of bacon into bite-sized chunks and crisped it in a fry pan with some sweet onion. Meanwhile, I cooked some whole-grain spaghetti according to package directions. Tossed it with the bacon, onion and some red pepper flakes. Plated on my favorite pasta bowls, I topped with the poached eggs.  Kind of a no-brainer.

Poached Egg Over Pasta…It’s What’s For Dinner.

Comments

you must be reading my secret diary because this looks like a page ripped right out of my must try section…I am now craving runny yolk, bacon and pasta!

This looks great! (and I see you used the healthy pasta to negate the rich topping – good girl) I just started getting tomatoes, too and I’m right there with you on the Hallelujah Chorus! I’d love to try some of your cantelope as well. I just LOVE the season for sweet ripe cantelope!

What a great combination of ingredients! I would have never thought to put them together and yet when I look at them on your plate, they go perfect! Save me a bite please!

I so share in your tomato joy. I live in Clearview, farm country just outside of Seattle and we’ve had virtually no sun this summer. I have one lone ripe tomato.

I love the simplicity of this dish. A little protein, a little carb, a little veggie, a little fruit. That’s what I call a balanced meal. :)

Lea Ann, I just checked, it is still on the menu. We will be there next week. I am so excited. This is my all time favorite restaurant. They have a farm in Larkspur raising there own chickens, lamb is on the way. I can only recommend it. So excited about the Pasta Carbonara I will be eating next week. I think, that it is the best dish I have eaten in forever! Chef Alex Seidel made it on the front page of Food& Wine last month.

Congrats on the first mater. I agree with you on the poached egg with the oozy yolk – the dish looks delicious. I’ve got a breakfast pasta post qued up.

At first I was thinking….bacon,eggs and pasta? But then it made absolute perfect sense. It is a form of carbonara! Nicely done, Lea Ann!