Burger Club Challenge: Bobby Flay

Bobby Flay’s Juicy Texas Burger

As the official Team Captain for picking meals around here, I must say I don’t know why Bobby Flay’s Juicy Texas Burger ended up being my last choice. Don’t you just hate being the last one “picked”??? You see…I’ve had this recipe in my data base for..oh.. I don’t know…years.  Whenever it’s was time to pick an out of the ordinary burger recipe for dinner, I’d slowly study all of the candidates and would always call out someone else’s burger recipe.  Well, blogger Reeni over at Cinnamon and Spice and Everything Nice  has called out a Burger Club Challenge, featuring Chef Bobby Flay burgers. What a great reason to finally give this a try.

Before we talk about this burger, look at this beautiful head of Colorado grown cabbage from my Farmers’ Market.  Beautiful.

The burger: First of all, I’m pretty darn picky about coleslaw. It’s gotta have just the right sweet, sour tangy combo for my liking and was reluctant to try someone else’s recipe. Oh I know, I could have made my own coleslaw and thrown it on this burger, but with a real chef involved, I do like to stick to their recipes to make sure I’m experiencing the flavors of the dish just as the chef intended. I have to admit, Chef Flay’s coleslaw is a nice recipe and I’ll be using it from now on and ditching my “buttermilk laden takes me 10 flavor adjustments to get right” recipe. His version is no fuss and yummy.

For the BBQ sauce, I used my favorite local brand, Tony’s.  I chose the Bold & Smoky for this recipe. And must say the flavor came through loud and clear in a bold and smoky manner. I thought it really paired well with the coleslaw.

For the pickles, I used slices of hot and spicy (and a little sweet) Famous Dave’s brand.  We love these pickles and our local Costco carries them.

I followed Chef Flay’s instructions to the T and I must say this is one mighty fine burger and will be my first pick when I’m wanting a fancified burger. I loved his tip of glazing the burger with the BBQ Sauce while cooking. I’m rating this Three Stars…Liked and will make it again.  I didn’t give it a 4 star rating because I truly love a simple grilled cheeseburger, with a little onion and fresh tomato…and mustard only please.

Here’s the recipe.

Bobby Flay’s Juicy Texas Burgers: Flay created this recipe for his wife, Stephanie March, “a Texan who loves brisket and coleslaw.”

3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 lbs ground beef chuck
Vegetable oil, for rubbing
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
4 hamburger buns, split
Sliced pickles

1. Make the Coleslaw: In a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the onion, vinegar, sugar and celery seeds. Add the shredded cabbage and carrot, season with salt and pepper and toss well. Let stand until slightly softened, about 25 minutes.

2. Make the Burgers: Light a grill. Form the beef into 4 patties; rub with oil and season with salt and pepper. Sear over high heat, turning once, for 5 minutes for medium-rare. Brush with 1/2 cup of the barbecue sauce and grill until glazed, about 1 minute per side.

3. Grill the buns and brush them with the remaining barbecue sauce. Top with the burgers, pickles and coleslaw and serve.

Servings: 4

A Juicy Texas Burger…

It’s What’s For Dinner when a Plain Ol Burger just isn’t enough.

Comments

I like the idea of combining the coleslaw with the burger (and it sounds like really good coleslaw). Just might have to break my burger resolution and try this one!

My husband goes nuts for Bobby Flay. Bobby can provide an awesome recipe for making an over the top burger. God, this one looks fabulous. I think you nailed this challenge.

I’ve got to try more of his burgers. There’s some awfully good ones posted over at the challenge, and I have a feeling we’ve just scratched the surface.

I love that you included a beautiful shot of that perfect cabbage. I think veggies are such beautiful subjects – which is obvious when You flip through my camera. :)

What a great burger and I’m making notes on the cole slaw recipe. I’ve never found one I loved, so this will get a try very soon!

I have to admit, KFC makes a pretty good slaw. I get mine just right about one in every 5 times. I do think I’d add a tad more sugar in Bobby’s. It’s a good recipe.

I just made a dish of Bobby Flay’s – Grilled Chicken Cobb Salad with Chipotle Dressing. Don’t worry, you’ll see it later this week! But I’ve never been unhappy with his recipes…especially since I love to 1. Grill and 2. Like a little heat/spice.

So I’m perplexed why he has so many haters…well, at least as evidenced at http://www.foodnetworkhumor.com. A lot of what they say and do slays me, it does, but I can wince when they rag on Bobby. Maybe he’s a jerk; I don’t know…but that boy can cook!

I’ve been making all my own sauces this summer (well, did have a ribs throwdown after all) but you really like the brand at Tony’s? I would just like to find one that doesn’t have the ingredient list start with High Fructose Corn Syrup. Any chance they qualify?

I loved my Bobby burger also! This one looks like a SERIOUS ultimate burger. I’m glad you found a new coleslaw recipe and that bobby didn’t disappoint!

Bobby is so right about about basting the burger in BBQ sauce. It gives it an amazing flavor. I love everything about this one – would be a big favorite in my house! And how cool that you found a new recipe for coleslaw – although yours sounds pretty darn good. Thanks for joining in the fun!

Another very good burger in this series and this one is one of my favorites because I LOVE slaw on a hamburger. My absolutely favorite burger is a “Carolina burger” topped with slaw, onions, chili and mustard….YUM.

I also like the celery seed in the cole slaw, it’s not slaw without it for me:)

I’ve not made a Bobby Flay I didn’t like and that looks like a burger we’ll have to try. I might have to put a little homemade pimento cheese on though.