Watermelon Salad with Feta, Onion and Black Olives

Watermelon, can you imagine a summer picnic without it?  I remember as a kid mom giving us big old slices of juicy watermelon and making us eat it outside so we wouldn’t make a mess in the house.  So juicy you’d have to lean forward to eat it so it wouldn’t run down your arms or get all over your clothes.  And then there was the seed spitting mess.  Hurrah for all the delicious seedless varieties now available to in our markets.

I found this recipe a couple of years ago, tweaked it a bit and now it’s my “take everywhere all Summer long” dish. I love a sweet and salty combination. When I was in my 20′s and didn’t care what I ate, I used to pile potato chips on top of a candy bar to get my sweet-salty fix…ah, those were the days. :-)

Let’s address a healthier combination, how about sweet watermelon, salty olives and creamy feta. I think you’ll find it addictive and a real crowd pleaser.  Take a look:

Watermelon and Feta Salad:

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp harissa or other hot sauce
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 lbs seedless watermelon, rind removed, fruit sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup pitted Moroccan or other oil-cured black olives, coarsely chopped
2 oz feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)

1. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice and harissa and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the watermelon slices on a platter and sprinkle with the onion, parsley, olives and feta. Drizzle the dressing on top and serve.

Servings: 4

Sending this to paradise for Deb’s Souper Sundays!

Watermelon and Feta Salad…

It’s What’s For Summer.

Comments

Until I ate Sam Hofer’s orange salad with onions and stuff, I would never have considered I might like this – however, I’ve learned that fruit, olives, onions and cheese works, so I’m in – looks delicious.

Yea – I’m so glad you posted this! I’m pretty sure you gave this to me once, but I have been unable to find it. (I have GOT to get a better filing system.) This looks and sounds so delicious – and knowing your recipes, I’m putting it straight into my “OMYGOSHGOOD” file because I have complete faith in your recommendations. Great post, beautiful picture!

3. Pam says

I printed this one. Just wondering… could something similar be done with tomatoes instead of the watermelon?

This is another great Summer salad recipe. feta and watermelon are an interesting flavor combination but, it works really well. I have enjoyed this salad many times. Yours rocks!

Ok, Larry keeps stealing my comments. That was my exact same thought when I saw the picture. I bet it’s good with that blend of flavors.

Lee Ann,

It must be too early in the morning for me. I got my comment on Tony’s and the watermelon salad mixed up. Anyway……I’m bookmarking this salad. I make something similar, but yours is drop dead gorgeous and I love the touch of hot in it. I think you have a real winner here.

I love this with the olives and onions! I did a cantaloupe and feta the other day and am already craving a repeat. This one is definitely in my future. I love sweet and savory and salty – this beats junk food any day!

What a great combination of ingredients! I would never have thought to put this combination together, but I love salty and sweet too, so I’ll have to give this a try.