Noodles with Sauteed Shrimp and Cilantro

I swear, I should never be allowed to go to any grocery story, farmer’s market or specialty market unsupervised. You might as well throw in convenience stores. I’m sure I could find some gourmet fake orange cheese product that I couldn’t live without.

Still trying to work out of the pantry to use up some of my “stock-pile” here’s what I came up with.

Love the combination of flavors here. The salty citrus combined with the cilantro and the sweet shrimp work well here. And the addition of red pepper flakes really BAM it up.  Take a look:

Noodles with sautéed Shrimp and Cilantro:

• 1/2 pound noodles of your choice, (I used flat egg noodles)
  • 1/4 C. extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 T. tamari soy sauce
  • 3 T. teriyaki Sauce
  • 1 T. agave syrup (or honey)
  • 1 large shallot, thinly sliced and separated into rings
  • 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
  • 1 t. lime zest plus the juice from one lime
  • A sprinkle of crushed red pepper
  • Lime wedges for serving

Cook the noodles according to package directions.

Meanwhile in a large bowl combine 2 T. of the oil with the soy, teriaki and agave syrup. When noodles are cooked and drained, toss them in the sauce, cover and let marinate while you:

Heat 1 T. of the oil in a skillet. Add shallots and cook over moderate heat stirring until golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes  Transfer shallots to a paper towel and in same oil add the garlic and cook over low heat until fragrant and just turning gold (about 2 minutes). Transfer garlic to the paper towel.

Meanwhile combine the lime juice with zest and remaining oil and toss with the de-tailed, de-veined shrimp. Season with a little salt and then saute the shrimp in the same oil until done.

Arrange noodles in large pasta bowls.  Sprinkle with the scallions, garlic, cilantro and some crushed red pepper to taste.  Arrange the shrimp on top, lime wedges along side.

Good to the last drop.

Noodles with sautéed Shrimp and Cilantro…

It’s What’s for Dinner.

Comments

I can’t be trusted in supermarkets either. Let alone specialty stores. That’s just suicide.

This sauce looks absolutely fantastic! Perfect pasta dish.

2. Vickie says

So I guess there’s something to be said for living where there are no specialty markets . . . but I’ve somehow managed to accumulate a boatload of once-and-done condiments, too. I love what you did with this dish – lime and chile flake with shrimp is a win win win in my books. :)

The red pepper flakes are just the best kitchen helper for me. I bought the big jar at Costco and we use it a lot since it adds a finishing touch to many dishes. I know that I would LOVE this dish but feel I have to wait for “this ultimate dish to arrive” to use up some of the last Gulf shrimp out of my freezer (I don’t buy any imported shrimp). It makes me so sad since shrimp are one of my favorite things to eat. Maybe I will take out just a few for this dish. I know my husband and me would like it very very much.

LOL…me too Larry! Cause I got them and the red pepper flakes from Costco. Will I still be saving if I have to do a room addition to store all the stuff I get from there?

Perfect timing Lea Ann; I do have the shrimp and red pepper flakes but more importantly some cilanto I need to use. I’m not sure I have Tamari soy sauce but thinking if the idea is ‘It’s What’s in your fridge?’ then would be defeating my purpose by buying another ingredients, right? :)

Such a simple dish, Lea Ann, packed with flavor! I wish that were sitting in my kitchen today for lunch. Or dinner.

Unfortunately, I have two FABULOUS specialty markets within a mile. It’s an obsession, really. And I have it.

6. dan says

Mmmm.
    My fav lately has been tiger shrimp, flat asian noodles like in your picture, hoisin sauce, peanuts, garlic, onions, asian chile oil, etc…kind of a made-up Kung Pao-ish type thing.

Don’t you just love specialty markets? I get into trouble in them all the time… it’s wonderful! I love the lime and pepper in this dish as well… gonna have to try it :-)

Hey I love this post, it’s so true! Everyone hates grocery shopping with me because I take to long. I love to look at new ingredients and stores etc…its just so much fun :D

Great blend of Asian flavors! If Alexis ever dumps me, I am going to marry red pepper and cilantro, then have an affair with lime. But don’t tell anyone.