Lemon Refrigerator Cake with Pink Lemonade Glaze

Look how moist..and lemony.

Chris over at Nibble Me This recently noted that you didn’t see many desserts on his site because he really doesn’t like desserts that much. Same here. I don’t think I have a sweet tooth in my head, but give me a bag of potato chips….oh, don’t get me wrong, there are desserts that are absolutely delicious and I love them, ice cream being my favorite. And then there’s that darn strawberry pie that Larry makes, but I think I fill up so much on the meat and potatoes and just don’t save room for the sweet stuff.

Speaking of sweet teeth, you need a whole mouth-full  for this Summery cake. I like to refer to this as a “kids cake”. It’s easy enough that a kid could make it and sweet enough for the them to go bonkers over…like bouncing off the walls bonkers.  It’s SA-weet and loaded with flavor.

The proof is in the pudding. I made this last week to take to one of my client’s open house luncheons. I sent the leftovers home with her for her kids and she emailed me the next day, They ate it like hogs“.  :-)  ya gotta love that.

Years ago, I published a family cookbook.  My cousin-in-law Kathy submitted this recipe with this comment: “This is my favorite summer dessert. It is so cool and refreshing on a hot summer day. I got the recipe from my mom, Deeva Christie”

By the way, isn’t that a rock star quality name?? Deeva Christie?  Thank you Deeva Christie for this cake recipe, straight from the heartland of Kansas:

Lemon Refrigerator Cake with Pink Grapefruit Glaze:

• 1 package lemon cake mix
  • 3/4 C. water
  • 1 small package Lemon Jell-O
  • 3/4 C. oil
  • 4 eggs

Pink Lemonade Glaze

• 2 C. sifted powdered sugar
  • 6 ounces canned pink lemonade

For the cake: Put all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well for five minutes. Pour into a greased pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and pierce entire cake with a meat fork. Pour lemonade topping over cake, working into holes.

For the Glaze:

Combine powdered sugar and pink lemonade in a bowl. Mix well. After pouring over cake, return to the oven for five minutes to set  When cool, refrigerate.

Kathy didn’t say to, but I threw some whipped cream on top.

Lemonade Topped Cake,

It’s What To Jazz Up Your Summer Sweets!

Comments

I’m an equal opportunist when it comes to food. Sweet, savory, I want it all. This sounds absolutely delicious. Sugary syrupy sweet. Just the way I like it.

And with a name like Deeva Christie how can you NOT have recipes like these in your repertoire?

Just have to ask…ever had potato chip cookies? I’m not kidding. Bet you would love them!

I love that this looks easy and so refreshing…not just for kids.

I love desserts; really my downfall. But they can’t be to sweet. I usually omit a lot of the sugar in American recipes or bake my German or French ones. They are not too sweet either.
    Interesting frosting idea!

This sounds interesting, I love the glazing idea. I think this is something my kids will find pretty unique. They are so used to my cake which basically has frosting or icing on it. I’d definitely give this a go. I love baking and I love trying different cake recipes. My kids on the other hand, love testing it for me. And boy, they do make a good board of jury when giving their critics, lol! All four of them! We’re all having fun in the kitchen, which makes baking and cooking extraordinarily fun for all of us. :)

Oh boy, this is a double doozie, a dessert that has lemon. You’ve hit my soft spot. My husband doesn’t like lemon desserts, so rarely do a make them. I just drool over other peoples. I would so love a piece of this!

this cake does look great love lemon and wow love the noodles and shrimp can I feature on an Alaskan seafood companies blog I write for?

Rebecca
    rebeccasubbiah at yahoo dot com

I LOVE lemon flavor in cakes and this is sure to be a hit with the guys. I’ll have to wait for a cool day to bake, but we seem to be having quite a few of those this summer. Nice recipe!

Somebody has potato chip cc cookies on their blog this week. Can’t remember who.
    Sorry.

Anyway, this is a perfect kids cake, for sure, Lea Ann! Easy to make, too. Perfect for summer. And what a super photo.

I’ve made a lemonade cake before but never thought to use pink lemonade in the glaze (I always used regular frozen lemonade). Sounds so yummy – thanks for sharing the recipe!

I’ve made this cake in the past but never with pink lemonade. What a great variation on the recipe – thanks for sharing! I think it would make it a bit sweeter than the one I make with the regular frozen lemonade concentrate.