Topolobampo Envy

Son Sean and DIL Stacey had us over for a beautiful dinner on Father’s Day.  And I mean beautiful. Sean is a well-known artist whose creative flare is equally evident in the dishes he served up. Before we get to the food, why not take a look at his website seanbrownartist.com so I can get that shameless proud parent plug out of the way.  :-)

But wait,  there’s one more piece of business I need to address before we talk about the food. And by the way, I’m pretty sure my fellow Rick Bayless groupie friend  Heather over at Girlichef  will throw almost as big a fit as I threw.

I walked in the door to see a shiny brand spanking new copy of the Rick Bayless Mexican Everyday cookbook laying on the coffee table. “Oh good, we’re having Mexican” was my first thought. But then became suspicious and wondered why the cookbook wasn’t in the kitchen. Sure enough I opened it up to find THIS:

That’s right, autographed by the genius himself. I briefly went into a coma then eased into a stunned state until I could gather the facts. I swear some people have all the luck.

Sean and Stacey had just returned from a trip to Chicago.  While they were there just happened by some iPhone reservation notification process got into Bayless’s restaurant Topolobampo for dinner.  Topolobampo is one of those places where you need reservations at least six months in advance…not 15 minutes. Not only did they get into the place, Bayless  just happened to be there and autographed the cookbook for them.  :::::sigh

By the way, they said the meal and service at Topolobampo was extremely memorable and fabulously delicious.

Here’s the Bayless-inspired meal Sean served us for Father’s Day.

I love a good simple guacamole but now Sean’s version is my new favorite.  His mixture was inspired from a couple of different restaurants and a couple of ideas of his own. Take a look:

Sean’s Guacamole

• 2 ripe avocados
  • a sprinkle of cumin
  • 1 T. jalapeno pepper, seeded, deveined and finely chopped
  • a sprinkle of garlic powder
  • 1 T. orange juice
  • Red onion – diced
  • Tomato – diced
  • a squeeze of  lime juice

Top with pistachio nuts pieces and a dusting of El Guapo. You can also sprinkle on a bit of crumbled goat cheese. Serve with corn chips.

Sean used this great flavored seasoning which I will buy as soon as I can get my hands on some. I know where I can find it in Denver, but also found it on-line at this Mexican Pantry.

A beautiful tuna ceviche. Sushi-grade tuna with all the fixin’s.

The salad was a recipe straight out of  “Mexican Everyday”. A delicious, crisp jicima salad with lime cilantro dressing.

The cool fresh salad was a perfect partner for the heat of the adobo chicken he served. A side of grilled pineapple and green beans with a spicy little chipotle chili gleaming in adobo sauce for decoration (or to eat if you’re brave). Beautiful. Sean coated the chicken with adobo sauce from a can of chipotle’s in adobo…

…grilled it on his new Char-broil infrared grill which seemed to work like a charm. The higher cooking temperatures from the grill sears the meat quicker, securing the juices for tender and delicious results.

And how about this dessert!  Grilled plantains with a side of cinnamon ice cream and fresh berries topped with walnuts. L-O-V-E-D this.

Those kids can cook!

Bayless Inspired Dinner

It’s What’s For Father’s Day

Comments

Your son is extremely talented! His pieces are striking. And he made a cupcake pendant! So cute. The dinner looks delicious from beginning to end! And what luck to get into the restaurant and meeting Rick Bayless!

2. buffalo dick says

I’m going to send you an exploding avocado one of these days! I did look like a great meal, though…

BD: You are too funny. Did you ever stop to think you’re the only person in these United States of America that doesn’t like avocado?
    Joanne, you and me both!
    Kitchen in Rockies…I was shell shocked. And can you believe they didn’t take any photos.
    Reeni, you should see that little cupcake in person. Adorable.

Really great post – I swear, you eat better than anybody I know! :)
    This all looks like such a fabulous meal and I know I would also LOVE that dessert. Ceviche is one of my favorite dishes on the planet and I’ve never had it with sushi grade tuna – I can only imagine how spectacular that tastes!

I would brag, too! My vintage Sean Brown pins, earrings & bolo are displayed as art when I’m not wearing them. Such cute stuff!

What a beautiful meal, and from such thoughtful hosts! Isn’t family wonderful?
    Ps: I can’t believe they didn’t get photos either ~

Applauding! Great meal that they put together and the grill looks like it rocks! I can see the acorn doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Um. YUP! I have it, too ;) But that’s SOOOOO Awesome! You know, you used to be able to call/email and see if he’d be there when you had a reservation. He would make a point to come out and sign a book if you asked (what a guy!)…but I see they’ve taken that option off the website. I’m too slow, as usual. BUT, I’m not giving up hope! Delicious food he made, btw :)

I am impressed on so many counts, Lea Ann! First, your talented son! Lovely website. And then, the restaurant AND the autographed cookbook. Oh well, that’s luck, not talent, right?
    But this dinner? That’s talent! It looks divine. One course after another; how fortunate you are to have chefs like this in your family.

Checked out his art! Wonderful and whimsical and great that he can actually make a living with it~ and not starve like some artists; this meal is wonderful, love Rick Bayless and his faithful renditions of Mexican classics as well as the more liberal versions like this one today. What a meal! Congrat all the way.

Jourma, thanks for heading over to the website, we’re very proud parents and yes, great pieces and he does make a living! :-)

ChiliB, too funny! Just think, in about a month training camp will start and we’ll be enemies for the season. :-)

Vicki, You’ve probably got some of Sean’s “collector items” I love his old pieces.