About 12 years ago I jumped on the flank steak bandwagon and this was the first recipe I tried using this “new to me” cut of meat. It turned me into an instant flank steak fan.
Flank steak is so versatile and it seems to soak up every delicious flavor morsel of any marinade you toss its way. I’ve probably tried more than 20 different flank steak recipes, they’re all delicious but it seems I always fall back on this one when I browse the choices in my database.
This recipe has such striking flavors when the tangy tender bite of steak meets the cool creamy flavor of the horseradish sauce, it’s a wonderful sensation to the palate.
For this meal, I served the steak with a Wedge Salad drizzled with a cool refreshing blue cheese dressing. I found the dressing recipe last summer over at Noble Pig. Just like Cathy promised, it’s the best home-made blue cheese dressing I’ve found. And easy! I’m a fan of Maytag Blue Cheese, so I try never to settle for anything less. For the recipe please visit Cathy’s blog post.
The side is Lundberg’s Tuscan Risotto. I really like their products and always have a couple of boxes in the pantry. I’ve tried a few other boxed risottos and none seem to measure up to the flavors and texture of Lundberg’s.
Here are the recipes:
Tangy Flank Steak with Horseradish Cream
The diamond scoring pattern on the steak allows more surface area for the marinade. To bring out the flavor even further don’t forget the Horseradish Cream.
- 1 (1-pound) lean flank steak
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup thawed apple juice concentrate, undiluted
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3 Tbs prepared horseradish
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Horseradish Cream:
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 Tbs chopped green onions
- 1 Tbs prepared horseradish
- Trim fat from steak. Score a diamond pattern on both sides of steak. Combine steak and next 5 ingredients (steak through Worcestershire sauce) in a large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Seal bag, and marinate in refrigerator 8-12 hours, turning bag occasionally. Remove steak from bag; discard marinade.
- Prepare grill or broiler. Place steak on grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray, and cook 7 minutes on each side or until steak is desired degree of doneness. Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve steak with Horseradish Cream.
- For the horshradish cream sauce: Mix all ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.
Flank Steak With Horseradish Cream…It’s Whats For Dinner.
One Year Ago: Grilled Watermelon, Curry Shrimp and Mache Salad