This is just a quick post with another great big little summer salad recipe.
I’ve been out of town this week drenching myself in alpine tranquility, lazy mountain lake strolls, wildflower meadows and campfired evenings on our first trip of the season to the high country.
Knowing the trip was going to be another fatstravaganza food event, I took it easy before we left and whipped up this delicious summer salad.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1¾ pounds)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2½ tablespoons wasabi powder (I'm not sure I actually used that much - you may want to start with 1½ T. and taste test as you add a little more at a time)
- 1½ teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 1½ tablespoons water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 heads Boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (I had spinach that I needed to use)
- 1 large Asian pear—halved, cored and thinly sliced (I used a regular ol pear)
- ½ seedless cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced on the bias
- 2 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- ½ cup roasted wasabi peas, coarsely chopped
- In a large saucepan, cover the chicken breasts with water and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook over moderately low heat until the chicken is white throughout, about 12 minutes. Transfer the poached chicken breasts to a plate and let stand until cooled slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the rice vinegar, wasabi powder, Asian sesame oil and 1½ tablespoons of water and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large serving bowl, toss the lettuce with the Asian pear slices, cucumber, scallions, bean sprouts and ⅔ cup of the wasabi dressing. Slice the chicken breasts crosswise ¼ inch thick and lay the slices on top of the salad. Spoon the remaining wasabi dressing over the chicken breasts, sprinkle with the chopped wasabi peas and serve at once.
Asian Chicken Salad with Wasabi Dressing…Its whats for Dinner
On this day..
- The Only Strawberry Salad Recipe You'll Ever Need - 2014
- Classic Macaroni Salad - 2013
- Shrimp Remoulade Recipe - 2012
- Seared Scallops with Pinot Gris Butter Sauce - 2011
- NoNo's Cafe - 2009