How about a Strawberry Pie for your line up of Summer Recipes? Big tease Larry over at Big Dude’s Eclectic Ramblings has been waving torturous photos of a wonderful Strawberry Pie at us for over a week. I made time to give it a try. I adore this Summery easy dessert. This will be a great “go-to” dessert when company is scheduled for dinner.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ stick butter
- 1½ tablespoon shortening
- ⅛ cup ice water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 can (12 ounce size) lemon-lime carbonated beverage
- whipped cream
- For Crust: Put flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Cut the butter, and shortening into the flour. Process a few seconds until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Drop by drop add the water, processing briefly. The whole process should take about 20 to 30 seconds.
- Wrap and chill for an hour. Remove from refrigerator, and let stand 15 minutes before rolling. You can double this up for a top and bottom crust.
- For Filling: In a medium sized sauce pan combine sugar, cornstarch, and lemon-lime soda until creamy. Cook over a medium to a medium high heat until the mixture becomes thick. When this mixture becomes thick, cool to room temperature, and add a couple of drops of red food coloring.
- Wash, and cut strawberries into quarters, or smaller depending on how large they are. Sprinkle a teaspoon or two of sugar on the strawberries, and place them into the shell. Pour the cooled lemon-lime soda mixture over the strawberries. Allow this to set for a few minutes. Serve with plenty of whipped cream.
Shoney’s Strawberry Pie … It’s what’s for Dessert