No More Training Wheels

Remember your first bicycle? I think it must have been about 3rd grade when I received my beautiful purple Schwinn. I remember how uneasy I felt the first time my dad let go of the handle bars while running along side of me, for my first solo trip without the training wheels. I remember my mom watching nervously and wringing her hands. Of course I promptly fell in the dirt, and with the help of Band-Aids and determination eventually became a bicycle riding fool adding flashy purple tassels on the handle grips and clothes-pinning baseball cards in the spokes to make a lot of racket when I went real fast.

So what does this have to do with food?

Dinner last night was supposed to be skewered grilled shrimp and tilapia finished with some jalapeno butter for dipping, but at 6:30 when I decided I was starving and had better start dinner the recipe instructed that I marinade the seafood for at least an hour. Don’t you hate when that happens?

Plan B:  Dig around in the refrigerator, fry up some corn tortillas, top with some warmed up green chili and nestle a poached egg in on top.

I had just started my 2nd glass of wine and feeling a false sense of security, threw caution to the wind and decided to ditch the egg poaching pods.

That’s right, no more training wheels.  I boiled some water, added some vinegar, got the water swirling like a tornado and slid in the raw egg. It worked like a charm and I didn’t even fall in the dirt. No Band-Aids were necessary.

Bye Bye green silicone egg poaching pod training wheels. Bye Bye odd-shaped poached eggs…forever!

Don’t they even kind of look like training wheels?

As you can imagine, I’m completely tickled with myself. So tickled that I have to post way too many unnecessary photos.

So with all that said, Happy Mother’s day to all. I feel a perfect celebratory weekend has already begun. The wine we opened last night was a delicious Joseph Swan Russian River Valley Pinot…yum! After my poached egg victory we watched The Blind Side. What a great movie to kick off Mother’s Day. LOVED it.

We’re brunching out this morning with the kids. Tonight I’ll start the marinade early enough to have my grilled shrimp and tilapia skewers.  It couldn’t have worked out better since yesterday was chilly and predicted temperatures at grilling time this evening will be in the 70′s

For fun, in the comment section, why don’t you share a  bicycle “incident” memory.  Whether it be a proud decoration, or a stunt that brought mom running with Band-aids and kisses.

Salute to Moms everywhere, and may your poached eggs be perfectly swirled and runny.

Comments

I admit my big brother taught me to ride without training wheels when mom was away visiting Grandma. Yes, I skinned both knees on the asphalt, but that was a normal state for them. Still have the scars of many spills on my knees, years later. Good times!
    The eggs look very professional (I admit to being afraid of poaching), and very delicious. Happy Mothers day!

That’s the same way I got my ears pierced…mom was away visiting Grandma. My knees tell quite the story too. And as I told Joanne, a glass of wine on an empty stomach … great first time poaching theory.

I had a Schwinn too. It was the ‘Racer’ model. Great analogy and images. You are gifted.

P.S. Guy do not use training wheels. Dad grabs the end of the bike and send you off into life.

Can you believe I’ve never poached an egg? I usually fry them over easy so I can get a runny yolk. I need some of those training wheels! Your so good at it now!

My first bike was a Christmas gift – I have the picture of me sitting on it in the living room next to the tree – it had tassles hanging off the handlebars.

Reeni, it was easier than I ever imagined and that’s what I used to do. Over easy was another one of my easy way outs.

Thanks for stopping by and the comment.

Woo Hoo! Good for you – looks like a declicious dish, too! I love all the photos. Really good post!

My best(worst) bike story occured when I was 14 or 15 and used my bike to get around town. I must have been going shopping for something, because I was carrying my purse. It was a shoulder bag. I didn’t have it over my head. I turned to wave at my brother’s wife as I biked past her car. When my purse slipped into my spokes I flipped the bike – I think it’s called an ender. My sister-in-law parked and got out to help with all my road rash. She was stunned, but couldn’t quit laughing.

omg and lol. I don’t think I’ve ever had that bad of a spill. I think my most memorable was my Cousin Chuck had my bicycle turned upside down for some reason, I’m sure some sort of pre-manhood need to repair something. He got the back wheel spinning as fast as he could then took my hand and stuck it in the spokes. The injury was well worth seeing how much trouble he was in for the whole thing. I believe he got one heck of a good spanking.

You were definitely my inspiration for those poached eggs.

That happens to me all the time, Lea Ann! Why don’t we ever learn the lesson of reading the recipe in the morning???

I didn’t have training wheels. I don’t think they even made them when I learned. (Aging myself here) Dad just shoved me off and hoped for the best. I rode my bike back and forth to school and fell constantly. A mass of scars on my legs, I swear.

Love the way you improvised dinner. And good work with the poached eggs!

LOL Barbara. Everytime it happens to me I wonder the same thing. And then there are the times that I did read the recipe in advance…and missed that part. I hear ya about the scars. My knees tell quite a story. As always, thanks for stopping by and the comment.

I have a great egg poaching set available too!

I was the 2nd child and my brother not even a year older…so often if he learned something I thought I should too. So not too surprisingly, even though it took me a bit longer at 4 to actually get the hang of it, when he started to learn how to ride a bike without training wheels, I did too. I have never forgotten that feeling of exhilaration and accomplishment.

Fast forward many years when I found myself in my late thirties and married with children. My wonderful (?) husband decided to leave our family for some young twit. I was consumed by child rearing and dealing with him and stressed beyond belief when someone suggested I make time to walk each day; just for me. I found that it helped relieve some of that stress and I started to lose a few pounds too.

Soon that walk around the block became several blocks and eventually I was walking three miles every morning…faster and faster. I had never intended to go beyond bursts here and there but as time wore on, I was running longer and longer patches of that same three miles…and I can remember, to this day…what I wore, what the weather was like and how amazing it felt…to run the distance…and remembered on that day feeling much as I did when I learned to ride a bike…exhilarated and accomplished!

Maybe that’s how I’ll feel again when I finally recuperate from breaking a leg; all I’m asking for this time is to take a step, unassisted, into my garage!

Thanks for the memories Lea Ann…and one that has reminded me that those moments when something seems to take forever can eventually open up to the success you’re working towards. Now to hobble into the kitchen for a glass of water!

Barb, I love walking and do so 2 miles per day. When I hurt my back I couldn’t take my lengthy walks or get to the gym for two months. It freaked me out not to exercise. I can’t imagine what you’re going through with this darn break!

Love your account of the exhilaration upon the running feat. Very poignant comment. As always, thanks for the visit and taking the time to reply.

7. Kristie says

Thought that was a dollop of sour cream at first, looks really good.
    I think I was about 6 when I learned to ride a bike. A purple bike called a scorpio with the banana seat. I was hot stuff…………..lol
    The boys couldn’t even catch me………….K

8. Patty says

I love reading your posts, you writing is so interesting. Remember how, once we learned to ride, all the times we rode all the way into town, and then all the way back home. It wears me out just thinking of how far we rode in the summer heat!!

Congratulations! I tried those pods once and never again. My free form poached eggs are 100% better than what the pods make. Easier too, imo.