Western Slope Peach Clafouti

I’m Public Relations Coordinator for the Highlands Ranch Rotary Club. One of our annual fund-raisers is to sell delicious Colorado Western Slope Peaches after they are harvested and in our hands in August. I’ve come up with this big idea to produce a little cookbook full of peach recipes submitted by our members.  A fun little handout when folks pick up their peaches they’ve ordered from us. I’m getting an early start on this production, so over the next few months, you’ may be seeing some tested peach recipes on my blog. This is the first.

But first, let’s talk geography.  Denver lies on east side of  the Rocky Mountains. We call our area the Front Range.  On the west side of our mountains, Colorado’s Western Slope is home to orchards and vineyards.  Juicy peaches, sweet apples, pears and grapes for wine are grown here.

Nearly 200 orchards are located near Palisade, CO.  The Colorado River Valley of Colorado’s Western Slope has a unique mix of ideal climate and soil full of phosphates, sulfates and nitrogen and has been churning out consistently flavorful peaches. You can pick up some of these summer treats along roadside stands throughout August. Farmers also deliver their crops to Front Range Farmers Markets.

I won’t test all of the recipes for this little cookbook project,  just the ones I’m unfamiliar with or curious about. Using frozen peaches from last August’s purchase, Here’s my first test recipe.

Peach Clafouti (Custard):

Submitted by Jan Keyton, Highlands Ranch Rotarian
Adapted from a Tony’s Meats Recipe

4 large eggs
½ cup heavy cream (or half-half)
½ cup milk
3 Tbs flour
¾ cup sugar
3 Tbs unsalted butter
6 medium peaches – peeled & quartered

1. Preheat over to 350 degrees.  In a blender, combine eggs with cream, milk and flour.  Add ½ C sugar and blend till smooth.

2. In a medium heavy skillet, melt butter over med-high heat.  Add peaches, sprinkle with remaining ¼ C sugar, and cook till tender, about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Butter a 10 inch round deep dish pie plate. Pour one quarter of batter into bottom, spoon peaches with remaining liquid into dish, and pour remaining batter on top. Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top if desired. Set pie plate on a baking sheet & bake for 55-60 minutes, or until golden and just set. Transfer to a rack & cool to room temperature before serving.   Top with some whipped cream.

3. Make ahead: Can be refrigerated overnight.  Gently rewarm in a 300 degree oven before serving.

This was easy to make and very tasty.

Peach Clafouti

It’s Whats For Dessert.

Comments

This is making me absolutely wish it were summer! I love peaches…definitely my favorite summer fruit. This cake looks delicious.

Fabulous – cooked peaches taste so sweet & good . . . this looks delicious! What a great idea to do a cookbook! And thanks for the geography lesson. I love learning a bit about your home state.

“Cookbook” is probably a lofty term for this project.  Probably more like a binder containing recipes.  And yes, that geography lesson will come in handy.  You’ll drive right through those orchards next time you visit Denver.  :-)

LOL, actually there may be more room in our house very soon.  I just read a blog post from Cathy over at Noble Pig in Oregon.  She had a fabulous dinner party and I’ve threatened to move to Oregon and make her be my best friend!  When I’m gone, Bob can cook you up a mean canned tomato soup.

This looks terrific! We buy a 25lb box of Palisade peaches every August and freeze them to use all winter long. They are so sweet and delicious, even after hanging out in the freezer. Such a treat!

4. buffalo dick says

I had no idea fruit could be grown at those altitudes! As a flatlander in water rich Michigan, we grow cherries, peaches, grapes, apples, potatoes, beans, etc. in export quantities..That cookbook sounds like a unique idea!

Your clafouti looks delicious. Peaches are grown in South Carolina also so I will give this a try when it is peach season. I am loving your blog.

You chose a fabulous recipe for first testing! I am copying it as I write! It looks heavenly, Lea Ann! I adore clafloutis, buckles, crumbles…all that good stuff. Especially with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! Keep the recipes coming!

Barbara I’m with you on that Vanilla ice cream. All I had was whipped cream. I love Vanilla ice cream on warm desserts as it melts over all that goodness. YUM

Liz, I have found that my frozen peaches actually make better peach ice cream than fresh. Something about that Fruit Fresh product adding a little sweetness, I think. I really would have liked to have used fresh peaches with this as well. I’ll make it again next summer when I’ve got fresh fruits.