I call it “The Spaniard” even though the only thing Spanish about the final version of this sandwich is the Manchego Cheese. Let’s take a look.
Here’s what you’ll need for “The Spaniard”
- 8 slices of Black Forest Ham
- About 8 thick slices of onion, caramelized
- One roasted yellow bell pepper
- One roasted red bell pepper (both divided in half for each sandwich)
- 2 thick slices Manchego Cheese
You can also use Serrano Ham.
4 slices of pumpernickel bread slathered in mayonnaise
Starting with the ham, layer ingredients on one slice of bread with the Manchego Cheese ending up on top. Place the two sandwich halves on a baking sheet and broil until cheese is bubbly and just starting to brown. Remove from oven, top with remaining slice of bread, press down to a bit on the top to press everything together, plate and dig in. Makes 2 sandwiches.
I like to serve a lot of simple garden salads with my meals. Makes me feel healthy. This time served with a tangerine vinaigrette.
Invite the “The Spaniard”.
It’s What’s For Dinner.