Glazed Corned Beef

This coming Wednesday, no matter what our lineage, we’ll all be Irish.  It’s the rules folks. Even for Goofy Cats.

I’m getting a head start on the culinary celebration of St. Patrick’s Day because I’ll be attending a business networking event on Wednesday which will prevent me from spending time in the kitchen. It’s a “must attend”, as many of Denver’s top movers, shakers and hoppers will be there!

It’s our annual Realtor Association Bowling Tournament where about 500 of us who make our living in the Real Estate Industry take to the lanes. The only moving will consist of rolling balls down alleys at some pins. And the shaking?  Well that would be the bartenders shaking green food color into pitchers of beer. And more shaking when Realtor Debbie leads the group in the Electric Slide and then of course the annual group Hokey Pokey embarrassment.  The hopping???  Why that would be when the D.J. plays Cotton Eyed Joe, of course.

My company (Title Insurance) has two teams which I’ve named The Bowling Stones. Even though I stole that name from a good friend, I’m very proud of the steal and taking full credit for its cleverness.

With all that said, as predicted and right on schedule, Safeway put corned beef on sale last Wednesday. Friday morning I put the brisket in the crockpot for an all day slow simmering.

Friday evening we enjoyed Glazed Corn Beef: (photo too horrible to post – but believe me, it was delicious).

1 lb to 4 lb corned beef brisket
2 Tbs prepared mustard
1.5 tsp cream-style horseradish
2 Tbs red wine vinegar
1/4 cup molasses

1. In a slow cooker, cover corned beef with water. Cover and cook on low 10-12 hours or until tender. Drain corned beef and place on a broiler pan or ovenproof platter.

2. Preheat oven to 400F. In a small bowl, combine mustard, horseradish, vinegar and molasses. Brush on all sides of meat. Bake, brushing with sauce several times, for about 20 minutes or until meat begins to brown. Cut into thin slices.

I served this with a simple side of Cole Slaw.

Saturday for breakfast was over easy eggs, warmed corned beef and some pumpernickel toast. To warm up the corned beef without drying it out, I simply sautéed it in a little butter.

Saturday night we enjoyed Glazed Corned Beef Sandwiches. I just popped the bottom half of the sandwich which consisted of shredded corned beef  topped with some Swiss Cheese and broiled until warm and oozy. Along with the Cole Slaw I added a side of potato salad.

So there, I feel amply Irish to start out my week. How are you culinarily celebrating St. Patrick’s Day?

Corned Beef and Potatoes

It’s What’s For St. Patrick’s Day.

By the way, just what the heck is Corned Beef?  According to Wisegeek.com:

Corned beef, also called corned beef brisket, is a popular meat item which hearkens back to the days before refrigeration. Faced with the challenge of preserving fresh meat for the winter season, butchers would routinely pack beef or pork products in salt to prevent the formation of bacteria and mold. Meats like beef brisket could also be pickled in a spicy, salty brine. At one time, the word corn referred to a number of kernels or seeds, including the coarse salt granules packed around the brisket. Thus the meat was called “corned beef ” in reference to the corns of salt.

Comments

I love that breakfast. Everyone talking about corned beef has really put me in the mood for smoking some corned beef into pastrami, that is awesome stuff.

I’ve never heard of glazing corned beef, but it sounds delicious and I’ll have to try it with a piece of ours. That’s my kinda of breakfast you served up. Three delicious sounding meals. Bev’s a big reuben fan and most of our leftover goes there unless we have a lot (then there might be some breakfast hash involved).

Larry, I should add that to my post. I had planned on some hash, but ran out of corned beef. darnit. RE: the glaze, I always like a sweet/salty combo going on. And to tell you the truth, this was really good, but the glaze flavor wasn’t all that strong.

I love the fact that everyone is Irish on St. Paddy’s Day! Corned beef is just so delicious. I can’t wait until Thursday actually when all of the corned beef will go on sale!

I’m so excited to see that you made this in a crockpot! I’ve been looking for a good recipe for this. You should submit this to Regional Recipes: Ireland, which I am hosting this month! It would be perfect.

Joanne, I’m not sure making this in the crockpot is the very best way to treat a corned beef brisket, it was just my option for a busy Friday and Sat. It was fall apart tender and delicious, but experts might be frowning?? I dunno. I’m not a brisket expert. I’ll watch for Regional Recipes. Thanks Joanne

Two years ago, our team was all female, so I named it The Gutter Girls.  This is a one day tournament so we dressed up in a trashy manner and had a ball!  Thanks for stopping by Pam.

THE BOWLING STONES?!? :) :D :P Sounds like a pretty festive party!

I love the idea of doing my corned beef in the crock pot – I’ve already got my cabbage, rutabagas and various other root crops ready to boil! Irish Today is the sentiment around here.

Very entertaining post, LA! Great shot of Queso the crazy coon cat, too.

5. buffalo dick says

I make a corned beef every St.Paddy’s Day, but usually make genuine Reubens out of it…they aren’t even Irish!

I love corned beef. I love that corned beef is dirt cheap this time of year. I love that I have a really big freezer. :)

That being said, I’m probably making Irish Stew and Soda bread for St. Paddy’s.

The Bowling Stones?? Too funny!
    And as far as that breakfast is concerned, lead me to it!
    I’m not much of a corned beef lover, but your recipe is intriguing…I may just have to try it!

Is your kitty hiding behind the clover? So cute.