Our Valentines Day, by choice. was very low-key. Quiet and relaxing. I can give or take the pomp and circumstance and am also perfectly happy just to go out for a good burger as long as I’m with Bob This year I was going to make steak and shrimp, but that Chipolte Buffalo Chili from Saturday night was so good, we decided to have it for leftovers.
I did however, surprise and impress him with this cake. Not only is it cute as the dickens, but it is extremely luscious, rich and delicious.
It’s Black Forest Upside Down Cake. I saw mention of it coming out of the Martha Stewart camp, but couldn’t find it. So, found a Black Forest Cake over at All Recipes, and a Plum Upside Down Cake over at Martha Stewart and just winged it.
My cousin gave me a little Polish hand painted heart-shaped baking dish earlier this year and it worked like a charm. I used a round cake pan for the rest of the batter.
Here’s the Black Forest Cake recipe I found and several of the comments on the site mentioned that it was the best Black Forest Cake ever. I’ve never had Black Forest Cake before, so can’t chime in on that claim, but I do know it is really really good. So moist and luscious and those cherries molded perfectly to the cake. The cake ended up performing like a super model for the photo shoot, not one cherry fell off and had to be replaced.
- 2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk (I used 1/2 c. whole milk and 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream – just cuz)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pitted sour cherries
- For the Fruit: (the part I winged)
- 8 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch, round, cake pans; cover bottoms with waxed paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 2 cups sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs, milk, oil, and 1 tablespoon vanilla; beat until well blended.
- Divide melted butter and brown sugar into the bottom of pans. Pat in drained cherries and then pour cake batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cakes on wire racks about 30 minutes. Loosen edges, and turn upside down to onto plate.
- Serve with whipped cream
Thrown in a highly rated and delicious Washington State Cab.
And we had a great Valentine’s Day.
Black Forest Cake … It’s What’s For Dessert.
From the blog of Lea Ann Brown, Cooking On The Ranch