Think Spring, Asparagus Salad

Maybe if we all “think” Spring on March 1, we can prove that bossy ole Ground Hog wrong.  Denver has had it better than a lot of you East Coast folks, but nonetheless, I’ve had snow on the ground in my yard since October. I’m ready for Spring.

Before we talk about food, take a look at that Morning Glory photo.  I did absolutely nothing to that photo.  It was taken last summer in my back yard in the early a.m. with the sun coming up behind the flower. Doesn’t it look like the stamen is a light bulb illuminating the flower?

This is a great little salad that marinates over night in a lightly flavored vinaigrette. This made enough for two nights for the two of us and it’s a great side dish for any meat entrée, needing no other accompaniments. Here’s the recipe:

Asparagus Salad

• 1 lb asparagus, cooked
  • 1 bell pepper, sliced
  • Lettuce leaves
  • 2 whole eggs, hard-boiled and sliced
  • 1 tomato, cut into wedges
Instructions
  1. In a bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients. Add radishes, bell pepper, relish, parsley and chives.
  2. Place asparagus in glass baking dish; cover and cook in microwave about 7 minutes.
  3. Pour dressing over asparagus. In a large bowl cover and chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
  4. Arrange asparagus vinaigrette mix on a plate. Garnish with hard-boiled eggs, bell pepper slices tomato wedges. Arranging the salad over a leaf of lettuce of your choice also makes a nice presentation.

This recipe is very tinkerable, adjusting flavors in the vinaigrette and evening adding any other salad vegetables that you wish.

Asparagus Salad…It’s Whats For Dinner.

Comments

Oh my Lea Ann, your photos do “yell out” Spring! And I truly do believe it is just around the next corner.

Your salad is spectacular and the vinaigrette is superb… plus your presentation is pure artistry. Many thanks for the recipe and the hope of the Spring to come…

This salad looks delicious – and asparagus season is almost upon us! I’m putting this recipe in my “keepers”. :)

The morning glory photo is just amazing – I would think you could win an award with it. Very cool.

We are usually the ones with mountains of snow to deal with, but haven’t had much of any snow this winter. I’ve been sitting on the deck with a glass of wine enjoying the sunshine today – amazing since it’s still technically February.

Sitting on the deck with a glass of wine sounds like heaven. Mine is snow covered, but if the sun would just come out, I’d be there anyway. Thanks Vickie

That is a great photo of the Morning Glory. I love the idea of using pickle relish and marinating the vegetables overnight. I would have never thought of assing a boiled egg and making it dinner either. Thanks!

Like you, I’m ready for the warm weather! I love this recipe, especially because it can be made in advance and enjoyed later… I’ll definitely be moving it to the top of the list!

I’m beginning to think spring and it won’t be long before our asparagus starts popping up. Shoot me an email if your need award posting help.

Thanks Larry. I’ve been so busy at work, I can’t even think award posting right now. But you can bet your asparagus I’ll let you know if I need help.

6. buffalo dick says

Someone gave me a bag of wild asparagus a couple of years ago…what a pile of bitter weeds that was! I love asparagus, when it’s light green, crisp, and fresh!

Your photos are real eye-poppers. You really have me longing for spring and warm sunshine and the smell of flowers. It’s a dreary snowy day here, but i can dream!

Great photos, Lea Ann! And the salad is definitely a big picture of spring on a plate! The colors, the flavors and I love the vinaigrette!

Sounds great! I am SO ready for spring. It snowed a little here today, but it is suppose to warm up to 70 degrees by Monday!!!

Great photos!

I’ve picked up some very skinny but still yummy asparagus on sale 2 weeks ago, which made me happy, because that means it’s spring somewhere nearby ;) It shouldn’t be too long before it starts popping up even closer to home. I can’t wait, and I can’t wait to try the recipe!