Osso Buco, New Year’s Eve Recipes

The New Year’s Eve Tradition around our house is a quiet evening at home with a nice meal and a movie.   Osso Buco is always the star on the menu but the supporting cast may change from year to year.  After pouring through numerous cookbooks and databases below you’ll find my final selections for this year’s New Year’s Eve recipes that ended up for dinner at home.

scallop apricot appetizer

Scallop Sandwiches for two:  These are one of my favorite little appetizers to make.  Just sear four sea scallops in a fry pan in olive oil until cooked through.  Cut the scallops in half and build your little sandwich:

• 1 thick slice of apricot, which has been sautéed in olive oil for a few minutes each side
  • 1 small slice of prosciutto
  • Drizzle with a sauce of 1/4 cup Greek style whole milk yogurt, 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned rice vinegar and salt and pepper
  • Garnish with pea shoots

Salad of Tangerine and Golden Beet:  This clever recipe uses sweet-tart tangerines two ways: Sections of fruit are tossed into the salad, and tangerine juice flavors the vinaigrette.

6 – 8 small to medium orange beets, roasted then peeled and quartered
2 Tbs pine nuts, toasted
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
6 tangerines
4 small shalots, thinly sliced
3 Tbs raspberry vinegar
Salt

Peel the tangerines and squeeze the juice from one of the tangerines in a bowl.

In another small bowl, toss the sliced shalots and raspberry vinegar with a pinch of salt and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the tangerine juice and the remaining 1/4 cup of vegetable oil and season the dressing with salt.

Arrange the beets and tangerine sections on plates and drizzle with the dressing. Top with the toasted pine nuts.

I love this little olive plate that my friend Kathy brought me from Italy.   It’s filled with a selection of olives from the Whole Foods olive bar.

The Wine:  Bob and I both agreed this is the best wine we’ve ever tasted.  EVER.  A gift from my boss.

Osso Buco roasting in the Dutch oven.

Osso Buco:  Osso Buco is so creamy delicious and easy to make.  Sautee chunks of carrot, celery, leeks, a sprig of rosemary and some sage leaves in some olive oil in your Dutch oven untill browned, about 15 minutes.  In another pan brown lightly floured and generously salt and peppered veal shanks in olive oil about 5 minutes per side.  Add the shanks to the Dutch oven full of vegetables along with 1 cup tomato sauce and 2 cups beef broth and roast covered Dutch Oven 325 degrees for two hours.  Finish with a topping of lemon zest.

Green Vegetable Medley:  I found this recipe years ago in Martha Stewart Magazine.  Easy and delicious (not to mention healthy).  In a little olive oil, sautee trimmed asparagus and sliced leeks until tender, add frozen peas and spinach until peas are warm and spinach is wilted.  Toss with unsalted butter, salt and pepper.

I must say everything was quite good.  This year the Osso Buco was exceptionally good and I think it was because I used homemade tomato sauce from tomatoes fresh from the garden.  I still have about 5 jars left.  I’ll never let a winter go by again without making my own tomato sauce.

Our New Year’s Day tradition is an invitation from our good friends and neighbors, Greg, Cauleen, Connor and Martini.  Each year they have a small group of us over for Sauerkraut, Pork and Mashed Potatoes.  Cauleen is from Pennsylvania and this one of her wonderful family recipes.

Roasted pork shoulder topped with drained sauerkraut.  There’s also some beer and lots of brown sugar a long slow roasting time involved and it is delicious.  Serve it on top of mashed potatoes and you’ve got a big creamy YUM.

Mike made and brought these crystalized orange peels dipped in chocolate.   Very good job and delicious, Mike.  I’ve got to try making these some time.

Look at these luscious creamy Godiva Chocolate Pearls.  Cauleen found these in her Christmas stocking and I’m sure glad she shared these with us, wow were those good.

Cauleen’s homemade tower of cookies…  Throw in a few bottles of wine and you’ve got a great little party and a great start to the New Year!

Happy New Year to everyone!

Comments

Bowing!

What a spectacular meal. The osso buco would have been enough but that scallop sandwich was over the top. Forget appetizers, we’re spending next NYE at your house!

2. Marla says

How funny. I made sour kraut and pork ribs for my parents today. Our old basic family recipe I spice up with bay leaf, cloves and ale. Served with rustic rye bread and mashed red potatoes with the peels. It sure hit the spot. Your’s sounds even better using roasted pork shoulder. Our’s is simmered in a pot on the stove.

Everything on your menu looks wonderful. I’d like to try that wine. I hope it’s not expensive.

Holy mackeral! That is sure one heck of a spread. I usually let someone else cook on New Year’s Eve since I cook a lot of meals leading up to it. They cooked, served, cleared, brought dessert. Also brought a bill, but that is okay-it was a special night with just my honey :)

Good food, good friends, and family. Can you ask for a better way to start the new year?

Everything looks seriously delicious. Scallops and apricots are an intriguing combination and the osso buco is to die for. It is my dad’s favorite dish!

Happy New Year Leann!

I saw you at Pam’s (sidewalk shoes) and thought I would check out your blog because you said you read One Thousand White Women. I read it too and really liked it! Wouldn’t this make an awesome movie? What a fab NYE dinner. Hey, my husband’s name is Bob, too!

6. Vickie says

Wow, wow, wow! I don’t even know where to start – the scallops with sauteed apricot and prosciutto look amazing. I still haven’t tried your beet and tangerine salad, but the picture makes me see why you love it. Also love the olives and especially the dish (being the bowl ho that I am). The osso buco looks delish as does the pork dish. Does this neighbor blog? And if not, are you nagging him or her to start? :) Great post with amazing photos!

First of all, thanks to everyone for stopping by and for all the comments, I love hearing from all.

Chris: Thanks! You are most certainly welcome here for NYE, you just need to bring that egg and cook me up one of those steaks with that butter.

Dave: There are alot of variations of Osso Bucco. I have had some strong tomato-ey pastie versions that overwhelm the creamy veal.

Lorraine: I love those little scallop sandwiches and the possibilities are endless on things you could put on them. They are hard to eat however. Too big to pop in your mouth for a single bite, careful cutting in half is required.

Dan: Tom and Kathy like you better, they brought you a larger version of that olive bowl

Marla, I’m so glad you stopped by – I love that slow cooked sauerkraut and pork combo. I’ve got a rib recipe like that too it’s got apples in it.

Vickie: LOL, I’m going to have to lock up all my bowls next time you visit. No, the neighbor doesn’t blog, she’s 8 months pregnent, I think she’s got more important things to think about right now, however I did nag Mike, the orange peel bearer about it. :-)

Natashya, I have made that salad with red beets – it’s just as darn good. Actually it’s prettier with the color red.

Buff: yes, I’m culinarily (is that a word?) spoiled….and you’re not? As always thanks for stopping by.

Tami Lyn: I wonder where that saying “Holy Mackeral” came from???

Joanne: Your dad has good taste!

I’d like to personally invite you to join the CookEatShare Author network. CookEatShare has had over 2.5 million unique visitors in 2009, and I think they will be interested in your content. Users will be guided to your actual blog, so this is a free way to increase page views and visitors to your site.

Please contact me at mary@cookeatshare.com for more information, to get unique link to claim and customize your profile. Please visit http://cookeatshare.com/blogs/apply for additional information.