Orange Slice Bars Recipe

There are a couple of directions I could go for a clever opening to this post using references to “orange”.  First of all, it’s 5 degrees and snowing in Denver, so 1) I could reference dreaming of Florida sunshine and Sunkist oranges…

2) Yesterday the Broncos played Kansas City, c’mon orange you glad you cheered for the Orange and Blue since we beat the Chiefs to a pulp!

I just can’t  I think of anything devilishly clever so I’ll just can the idea because I can’t concentrate… ha..ha…Get it??? I know, I know, you’re laughing so hard you pithed your pants.

When’s the last time you had some of those sugary gooey orange slice jelly candies???

My mom has had this recipe for as long as I can remember. These are called Orange Slice Bars and they are goooo-ood.  Always a crowd pleaser.

The hardest thing about this recipe is chopping up those packaged orange slice candies.  Even the sharpest of knives doesn’t work well against that taboo high fructose corn syrup. Mom is here for the holidays and this is the first in a series of “Mom Recipes” that I’ll be posting over the next few weeks. Enjoy.

Orange Slice Bars:

1 lb packaged orange slice jelly candies

6 Tbs boiling water
1/2 cup butter
2 1/4 cups sugar
4 whole eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup pecans, chopped

1. Cut orange slice candies into eights;  pour boiling water over candy slices and let stand 2 hours or overnight.  Cream butter and sugar; add eggs. Sift dry ingredients together; add to creamed mixture. Add orange slices and pecans; put into greased and floured 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 inch jelly roll pan; bake for 35-40 minutes at 325 degrees or until done. Sprinkle with powdered sugar while warm. Cut into squares when cool.

The orange continues, for dinner I prepared Orange Shrimp With Basil Tangerine Pasta.  I’ll be posting that recipe soon.

Comments

is the orange skinned and peeled of the white stuff? did you use butter or margarine – you list butter but you say ‘cream margarine’ – I want to make these!

I do not use Margarine. Butter only. I forgot to change the original recipe from margarine to butter. Sorry. There is no real orange. It’s the Orange slice candy pieces.

My grandfather was a citrus grower for Sunkist in California, and always had these orange slice candies in their home. I think my grandmother even had a similar recipe she made each year for Christmas. Thank you for this post! It brought back lots of lovely memories.

Very Cool! In that case, I wonder if this recipe came from the back of a Brach’s Orange Slice package??? I tried to Google Brach’s before I posted this and couldn’t come up with anything. This recipe has to be over 30 years old

Do you know, I wondered later where the recipe might have originated. It’s possible that it came from the candy manufacturer, but hers were always from Sunkist in a big red box. Grandma always called ther bars ‘Lucilles’ because she got the recipe from a friend named Lucille.

I loved those orange candies as a kid. I may have to search them out. Can you buy them at the local grocer?

P.S. I hate the Broncos and John Elway is a (deleted)

Yes Chilebrown, I find them at Safeway and at Walgreens. As I mentioned in another reply, each year I make them I’m always afraid I won’t be able to find them anymore. AND how on earth can anyone hate our adorable Broncos!!!!! :-)

4. Carol says

Orange you going to eat a few slices before cutting them up?

Would chilling the slices in the freezer make them easier to slice?

orange you just a little ashamed of your self for bragging about beating up the KC Chiefs this year… Like bragging that Your car beat my bicycle in a road race…

But wait til next year (and next year, I wont need to write the same thing, just assume in mud December, 2010 I tell you to wait til next year again… saves time and energy)

LOL Dave, my husband made me take out what I really said about that victory, I did mention you and something about flat out kicking butt. He said I was being mean. Geez. Isn’t that what football rivalry is all about???

6. dan says

Those orange slice thingys. YES!

That’s so cool that you decided to whip out an orange slice candy recipe.

Take that, any stuck up sophisticated gourmet bloggers out there!

(Even though all the people who interact on your blog seem way cool. I just had to throw that out there in case anybody turned their nose up)

7. buffalo dick says

I love jellied candies, but the tart, multi flavored ones that look like a slice of fruit are a personal favorite!

Well, we could switch out high fructose corn syrup orange candies for the high fructose tart multis and call them: Tart Multi-flavored Bars. Such a versatile recipe. LOL and as always thanks for stopping by BD

I’ve been hearing about how ya’ll are get slammed with snow and there’s more to come. in a way i wish i could be home creating delicious holiday treats like you!

I associate orange with christmas and this is so perfect. You have inspired me!

Oranges are such a weird fruit to me because I associate citrus with summer and yet they are in season in the winter. Odd. But true.

I love these gummy candies. I am so much more of a gummy fan than anything else. Those Sour Patch Kids watermelon gummies – my absolute favorite.

These bars sound delicious. Yay for moms and I can’t wait for that dinner you cooked up!

I have nothing clever to say using the word orange. I’ll leave the humor to the experts ;) These look yum! How do you think these would hold up if packaged in boxes a bit in advance for christmas gifts? I’m looking for ideas here.

And I’m being a good girl and remembering to subscribe to the comments this time!

I just came home with a sack full of food gift containers from The Container Store. Do you have a Container Store? Really cute stuff and a fairly decent price. I did cut some of those Orange bars in squares and plan to fill a couple of containers and freeze until Christmas. Yes, they are solid enough not to goo all over a container. This recipe does freeze well by the way. I also have some cellophane type paper to line the gift boxes= CUTE. I’m also going to make some fudge and a recipe called Boston Crème. I love giving food gifts and also receiving them.

I love this post! I almost pmp (pithed my pants) reading all your clever puns! It’s great that you’re making your mom’s recipes and also great that you’re taking her down memory lane. I love traditions. Sounds fun and memorable.

I could never make this because I’d never get past eating the orange slices straight of the bag. That would be like trying to make something out of chocolate covered cherries.

I hear ya Chris. My husband kept sneaking orange slices. I’m actually a Dot fan…a Dotaholic you might say. If these were Dot Bars, I’d be in trouble.

As always, thanks for stopping by!

Lea Ann… Jelly candies are my dentist favorite treat. He says it’s the candy that keeps him in business!

What a terrific creative recipe. I bet this bars are a real treat, packed with flavor and sweetness. These are definitely going to go on my “to make” list…

Many thanks and “GO Broncos”!

14. Patsy Behrendt says

I am so excited to find this recipe!! My Dad grew up very poor and the highlight of his Christmas was these orange slices dipped partially in chocolate!! Orange slices were a staple of my childhood and I never see one that I don’t think of Dad. I can’t wait to try this. Thanks for giving me a brief memory of something I had almost forgotten about!