Highlands Ranch Turkey Run

The loud-speaker instructed everyone to get lined up for the start of the race.  Runners in the front, walkers next, baby strollers and pets at the back.  (There were a lot of us baby stroller and pet participants – and I must say, we were the most fun section).  Join me for a photo journey for the Highlands Ranch Turkey Run.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I’d like to introduce you to our little 4 pound Yorkshire Terrier.  Her name is Zia, we call her  Z.  This morning at 7:00 we headed over to Shea Stadium in Highlands Ranch along with about 2,000 other neighbors and who knows how many dog neighbors to participate in our Highlands Ranch Turkey Run.  Proceeds benefit the Colorado National Guard Foundations, to help our military families.

Getting Z’s coat on.  Race time temperature was a crisp 36 degrees.

Greg, Me and Z.  Found our friend Greg.  He’s the one who got me the Vail Pulled Pork Recipe.  You can revisit that post HERE.

Our Little Community Banner on a light pole.

And we’re OFF.  We first head east into the “hood”

The race wound through our local neighborhoods.  You can see the front range of the Rocky Mountains in the background with a couple of snow-covered peaks behind.

Turning west now along Highlands Ranch Parkway and as you can see in the distance, we’ll be turning back north through our open space.  We’re now half way.

Montana ain’t got nothing on us, look at our big sky.

And how about that view of Mt. Evans.  Breathtaking

We’re getting close to the end now.  The finish line is just on the horizon.  Those two dark jagged peaks in the center in the distance are the Flatirons of Boulder.  We’re south of Denver, Boulder is Northwest of Denver.  Those flatirons are 37.89 miles away from where I’m standing (as the crow flies).

I don’t know why I didn’t take a photo of the finish…honest, both me and Z made it all the way.  As I was walking I felt so thankful for my health and to be able to walk in the event on this beautiful day filled with sunshine, neighbors, fresh air and views of the Rocky Mountains.

I probably burned around 500 of the 25,000,000 calories I’ll consume over the next few days!  Bring on the family, friends and turkey!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families!!!  We’re thankful for those wonderful things in our lives that make each and every day special!

Highlands Ranch Turkey Run…It’s What’s To Do On Thanksgiving Day

Comments

Man, I an out of breath looking at you photo’s.Mojo and Oscar want to meet Zia and give her a good lickin all over.Then they would lay down and wait for the nest cookie allotment. Happy Thanksgiving!

Depending on how big Mojo and Oscar are, would depend if Zia wants to meet them. She’s a tiny little dog. Yes, Colorado is beautiful, just think about the pictures I could get if I had a GOOD camera. Thanks for stopping by chilebrown

Happy Thanksgiving! Z is so adorable. I would love to have a dog like that. It looks like you guys had a ton of fun today, it is so great that you got out and exercised even on Thanksgiving. Just think, you did more than the majority of people out there.

Colorado looks so gorgeous! I love all of those mountain photos.

Z is adorable and very spoiled. Highlands Ranch is a pretty place. It’s higher in altitude than Denver, so we have some sweeping views that just can’t be beat. Thanks for stopping by Joanne

3. buffalo dick says

We had a 10k Turkey Trot here for years.. Back when I was a (much!) younger man, I ran in it a few times… I bet dinner tasted better after a walk/run in the cold!

Dinner would taste good after laying on the couch all day. I love Thanksgiving food. We didn’t run at all, we walked the 3.1 miles, 63 minutes. That little dog can walk very fast. :-)

Thanks for stopping by BD

What a beautiful post! Love little Z and the mountains – looks like it was one of those beautiful sunny fall days we love up here in Montana as well. I loved the picture of Mt Evans. It truly is breathtaking! I think since we were raised in Kansas, it makes the beauty of the mountains that much better, don’t you?

Ha what a cutie, oh and I mean both of you of course…

The only time I can get hubby to go for a walk is from the front door to the car, otherwise the past few days he was like “lets go for a walk”, and I had just started working on my teaching curriculum…

Oh goodness! I think my fridge looks like this too… except yours is rather more tidy. I’m glad you had such a nice Thanksgiving with your mom.