Ultra-nutritious with Crab, Avocado and Asparagus. Add a lively vinaigrette and you’ve got a great tasting salad.
This week, my local market had Crab legs for $9.99/lb. Prompting this easy as can be, crab salad recipe with avocado and asparagus.
Look at all of these beautiful, fresh and healthy ingredients. I’m trying to eat as healthy as I can before the month-long food gorge begins in a couple of weeks. And believe you me, I plan to whole heartedly participate in the Holiday food festivities. 🙂
I’ve been finding pea shoots at Whole Foods. They’re a beautiful garnish and addition for any salad. They’re simply the leaves of the traditional garden pea plant that are harvested about 2 – 4 weeks into the growth cycle. Tender, young and bursting with pea flavor.
Eating this salad makes you feel so good about yourself. Asparagus cooked until just tender, raw pistachios and avocado. A delightful and fresh tasting lemon vinaigrette finishes the combination. Add some sweet crab meat and we were in salad heaven. Crab meat can be expensive at times. I’ve made this salad with cooked shrimp, coarsely chopped. Either way, a healthy choice for a light dinner.
- 1 pound thick asparagus
- 8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 medium basil leaves
- 1 small shallot, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3½ oz pea shoots, trimmed
- ¼ cup raw pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb jumbo lump crab meat
- 2 Hass avocados, each cut into wedges or coarsely chopped
- Cut tough ends off asparagus and throw away. Slice asparagus tops into 1 inch chunks. Heat a frypan over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and then add asparagus and shallot. Salt and pepper to taste. Lower heat to medium. Cook until just tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a blender, blend the remaining oil, lemon juice, basil and ¼ cup of the parsley. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, add the pea shoots, pistachios and the remaining ¼ cup of parsley leaves to the asparagus. Toss with half of the dressing and season with salt and pepper. Divide among plates and Sprinkle with crab meat.
Love avocado in salads? Take a look at:
Crab Avocado Asparagus Salad…It’s What’s For Dinner.