This white bean chili recipe won the Michigan State Championship.
Can I see a show of hands of how many of you watch “Giada At Home” on Food Network??? … Ok, good…a few.
Well, just be forewarned that the next time you tune it, don’t be surprised if you see our very own Buffalo Dick cooking in that perfect kitchen instead of Giada. I’m just sayin…It could happen! You’ve got to admit, it does have a ring to it “Buffalo Dick at Home” And Buff, I hope you put your foot down if the producers try to make you show cleavage.
Well it appears that we have a White Bean Chili Smack down.
This is what makes food blogging so fun, a little bit of friendly competition. So in my best Michael Buffer voice: Are you ready to RUMBLE???
A couple of weeks ago I unwittingly posted a White Bean Chili recipe that I watched Giada make on her “Giada at Home” Food Network program. Delicious, so I quickly blogged, and confidently exclaimed that it was the best White Bean Chili EVER. You can review that post by clicking HERE.
Soon after the post, I received an email from Buffalo Dick over at “Opinions and Rectums, We All Have One” saying that he had an Award Winning White Bean Chili recipe. How could I resist a comparison. You can view his blog HERE I begged him for the recipe, gained his permission to blog about it and here’s my opinion (see he’s right, we all have one) about his Chili. This just might be the best White Bean Chili recipe EVER! Folks, my husband and I had a FIT over this recipe, right there at the dining room table – a FIT. After Thanksgiving, I highly recommend you give this a try.
Move over Giada, here we go:
These cumin seeds smelled sooooo good while toasting. We’ll add about 2 Tablespoons of these towards the end. After lightly toasting, Buff said to grind them, but in my excitement I forgot to do that.
Beautiful bell peppers.
Chop and brown chicken breasts and Italian Sausage separately. Remove to a plate.
Finely chop jalapeno (seeds and veins removed), sweet onion and bell peppers. I sautéed these in the same pan that I browned the meats. Deglaze the pan first with a bit of chicken broth to scrape up all those delicious browned meat bits sticking to the bottom. Buff said that you can also add some chopped celery. Didn’t have any, so didn’t.
I used fresh frozen Colorado sweet corn that I froze in September. It’s so delicious.
Return meat and add remaining ingredients (except Alfredo Sauce, Jalapeno Pepper and cumin seed) to the Dutch oven and let simmer for about 30 minutes.
About 5 minutes before serving add the toasted cumin seeds, Garlic Alfredo Sauce and the Jalapeno Salsa. This is where I became scared…very scared. I have never used Jalapeno Salsa before and wanted to make sure I didn’t add too much heat. This really ended up to be a great flavor addition to this Chili. I probably used 1/2 of the can.
Voila! Delicious. I love the flavor that the sliced black olives added to this soup. And of course that cheese! Yum.
Here’s Buff’s unabridged recipe:
- 3 Lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoned with light salt and white pepper, cooked and cubed
- 2 -15oz. cans of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb. of sweet Italian sausage, crumbled and browned.
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 6-7 Jalapeno peppers , seeded and fine chopped
- 1 jar of Great Northern white beans- around 30 oz, rinsed and drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 t. of white pepper
- 1 t. crushed garlic
- 2 t. of Mexican Oregano
- 1 t. cumin seeds, toasted
- 1-15oz can of sweet corn drained
- 1 to 1 and ½ jars Garlic Alfredo Sauce
- 1 7 oz can of hot Jalapeno salsa (La Victoria) to taste
- Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, and sliced black olives to garnish
- Simmer all ingredients in chicken broth until veggies are soft, but not mushy
- Add the cubed chicken. Add 1 to 1-1/2 jars of garlic Alfredo sauce , stir in slowly until incorporated into liquid
- Add ground hot Jalapeno salsa (La Victoria) to taste.
- Garnish when served in bowls with grated Parmesan and Romano cheese, and sliced black olives.
So Buff, thanks for the inspiration to try another White Bean Chili Recipe. Can’t wait to serve it to friends and family, my popularity will sky-rocket! I’m sending you the “My Year On The Grill Inspirational I Can Cook That Award”
Award Winning White Bean Chili Recipe…It’s Whats For Dinner.