This is a great lettuce wrap recipe. Unique and delicious in flavor using Major Gray Mango Chutney.
Let us rap about lettuce wraps.
Let me thank coo Montana Vic
For a cookbook sent where I found that pic
Hos’ cuke and radish was a staring at me
The chutney in my face yellin’….. stir me in “B”
Ok, so here’s the deal: I’m not going to run out and go through the lengthy process of copy writing those lyrics, so Eminem, feel free to run with it.
I love love love this lettuce wrap recipe. Montana Vickie sent me a cookbook last winter from the NPR Radio Show, The Spendid Table. So far everything I’ve tried in the book is really good, but this one! Man oh man.
Almond Chutney Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 purchased 3 pound roasted chicken
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 9 ounce jar Major Grey Mango Chutney
- 1/2 C. Mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 large celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup salted almonds, coarse chopped
First of all, let me say that most roasted chickens that you purchase at a grocery store are not three pounds. I usually half this recipe for the amount of chicken. Since weights vary, it might be a good idea to add just enough of the flavor mixture to make the right consistency. Hope that makes sense.
Lettuce Cups and Herbs:
- 1 head Bibb Lettuce leaves separated,, washed and dried
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves, washed and dried
- 1 bunch Cilantro, washed and dried
- 8 radishes, thin sliced
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- Pull the meat from the chicken, discarding skin and bones. Cut into small bite sized pieces.
- In a large bowl combine the onions, lemon zest and juice, jalapenos, chutney, mayonnaise and salt and pepper. Fold in the chicken. Taste the mix for flavor and adjust to your taste. Let stand for 20 minutes to blend the flavors, or better yet, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, blend the celery and nuts into chicken mixture. Mound the salad on one side of the platter, pile up the lettuce leaves on the other, and cluster remaining ingredients in the center. Tuck the radishes and cucumbers next to the herbs.
- Place a few herb leaves in the bottom of a lettuce cup, top with a spoonful of the salad. Add a slice each of the cucumber and radish. Roll up and eat.
What a way to eat during the heat of the summer, you didn’t even turn on the oven.
Lettuce Wraps…They’re What’s For Dinner.